MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-12-2001, 06:55 AM   #1
Chipdog
Registered Member

Angry Tranny slipping?

Ok so I have this big power loss. After looking around I am told that my tranny is slipping. I just had my AOD rebuilt i think about a year ago. It seems to happen in all gears. The RPMs jump but the car takes a bit to catch up. Is this my tranny or my converter? Is there any hope? What do I do now?

Thanks for the help
Chipdog

------------------
92 GT Convertible
K&N, Hooker Headers, H-Pipe, Flow Masters, B&M Holeshot 3k converter, 4.10s, BBK 1.5 drop, 73mm Vortech Mass air, 65 FMS TB, B&M Super Cooler trans cooler, FMS Aluminum radiator

And a Small Blow Job
Chipdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 06:38 PM   #2
NOS_Notch
Registered Member

wow !! it lasted a year??? ante up another $1800 and save up to do it again next year.
I went through 3 of them myself b4 i finally learned my lesson.

------------------
4.10's,long tubes & 75 shot...Goes 12.50's
Check it out at http://www.burnouts.webprovider.com
NOS_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 09:00 PM   #3
93CobraR
Registered Member

Whats the fluid look like? Change it regardless if you haven't in the past. Burnt fluid cause slipping. Replace the filter while your at it too.

------------------
87 GT, 4 inch cowl hood,17x9 Cobra R's/255/45's,GT-40 heads,long tubes headers,h-pipe,Flows,BBK cold air, Mass air,70mm MAF, 1.7's, 1" spacer,underdrive pulleys,Pro 5.0, King Cobra, Adj. fuel Reg., Lakewood Lift Bars,50/50's,subframes, 4.10's.
Best time 12.96
Best MPH 103.42
Best 60' 1.695

Visit my site at:
http://www.geocities.com/cobrar93_2000/MyPage.html

93CobraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 11:32 PM   #4
macx
Registered Member

First, check to make sure that little plastic grommet that hooks the throttle valve (TV) cable to the throttle body arm is OK and the cable is hooked up. If not, it'll ruin the trans fast. Second, if you've got a heavy foot, a stock rebuild is no good. Especially to an AOD (versus /E) there are several things you can do to make it hold up lots better. I upgraded mine when I rebuilt it, using premium clutches, adding to the number of direct clutches, used Carr's "zero leak" 2-3 accumulator and their A overdrive servo. The accumulator and servo can be done without no more than dropping the valve body, where you need a good shift kit like www.baumannengineering.com anyway. Or, check out www.lentech.com for their valve bodies. If you rebuild, besides the better clutches, you should go Carr's hd od band. BUT in an AOD, do NOT heavy throttle shift into OD. Last abut not least, change fluid often, and a synthetic or semi-synthetic takes the heat and lubricates better, but you still need an oil cooler. THAT will set you up with an AOD that will handle quite a bit of power.
macx is offline   Reply With Quote