MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-13-2003, 10:08 PM   #1
fredj50
Registered Member

Talking shift kit question?????

I am currently in the market for a mustang and am looking at a 95 gt, my question is I really want to get a 5 speed but would like the convenience of an automatic. Can anyone tell me exactly how a shift kit for an automatic works?? Can I still shift like a manual transmission? Are there any drawbacks to putting in a shift kit? Or should I just go ahead and get a 5 speed and not even bother?

Fred Jones
fredj50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 02:20 AM   #2
B2r3y
Registered Member

I dont know what your funds are like but if it were me i would personally get the AOD , a nice shift kit, and stall converter set to like 3000rpm's. Auto tranny with those 3 things will win over a T-5 speed tranny becuz once you start to think about the throws that u "can" miss when driving and the consistancy of your T-5 and your manual shifting vs. something automatic that shifts for you but throws into gear liek a standard the you will notice that a AOD is always more consistant than a T-5.

But on the other hand if u are budgeted and cant pick up all 3 components then i would say a T-5. Just my .02!

Bryan
B2r3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 07:56 AM   #3
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

A shift kit increases line pressure in the transmission, this makes for harder, firmer and quicker shifts. You can shift the transmission manually if you want, but its not all that good on the trans and causes premature wear. If you want the ability to shift an automatic, a manual valvebody is something to look into.

The 95 your talking about has an AOD-E transmission, not an AOD. The AOD-E is a better trans anyway with improvements over the AOD. Also a stall converter is always a good way to help an auto car accelerate quicker. But the converter should be matched to the rpm range of the camshaft, and a 3000 rpm unit might be a little too much for a stock motor.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! Good luck.

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 09:31 AM   #4
fredj50
Registered Member

Thumbs up thanks....

Thanks for the replys......I have alot of questions to ask so please feel free to make any suggestions on any of my posts....

Fred Jones
fredj50 is offline   Reply With Quote