MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-23-2001, 11:08 PM   #1
WADS56
gear banger

Angry New proshifted trans dosn't shift at all

I just bought a new proshifted TKO II and the thing will not shift or anything. After we got it in we started the car up when it was still up in the air. Once it started up and I got out of the car the rear tires was spining WTF! I got back in the car to try to shift it but the shifter would not move. It will only let me move the shifter to the right, but it will not let me shift into any gears. If it was stuck in gear how in the hell can I still move the shifter? I know the shifter is installed the right way so it must be something internal. Any ideas?

------------------
79 hatch w/ NA 347,stage 2 Canfield heads, out of the box Victor 5.0 intake, solid roller cam, Aeromotive fuel system, proshifted TKO II.MY CAR http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/...splay.cgi?1288
93lx all stock + tremec
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2001, 07:06 AM   #2
Jeff Chambers

Check your clutch adjustment first. Make sure you have proper air gap at the TO bearing and check to see if its disengaging statically. Could be related to the clutch fork & pivot ball setup.

What kind of clutch did you install?

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.462 Seconds / 117.43 MPH
Chambers Racing Team
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2001, 10:59 PM   #3
WADS56
gear banger

I got it going now. I think something hapend to it during shiping. I took off the mid plate to expose the shifting linkage and it was out of sequence. It was engaged in second but the shifter was in neutral. Now I can't wait to test it out to see how it shifts.
Thanks anyway Jeff.
Old 09-25-2001, 10:07 AM   #4
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Wow, that shouldn't have been able to happen in shipping should it? If so, what's to stop it from doing it while driving down the track at 130mph?

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 04:01 PM   #5
Five0
Registered Member

Cool, let me know how you like it. Details!

How much does the proshifted tko go for and what would you ask for, A TKO II or a proshifted TKO?

------------------
James Cox
nochevy@hotmail.com
1991 Mustang LX
No good times with 347 stroker yet!
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 11:07 PM   #6
WADS56
gear banger

Kevin, I agree that it would be hard to do that during shipping unless the thing fell or something. Thats just what they said, but it would be a simple mistake to put it together that way on accedent. It only took me 5 minuts to fix it.

Five0, I should get it out this weekend to test it out. It was 2100 to my door for the trans. The tko and tko II are different. If you wanted a proshifted trans you can get it done to a T5, tremec 3550, tko, and a tko II. Proshifting is a extra 500.
Old 09-25-2001, 11:25 PM   #7
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World
Call Me An Idiot, But What Is Pro-Shifted?

------------------
1988 Mustang GT, T-5
3.08's, No Smog Pump (Shorty Belt), Dumps At The End Of Stock H-Pipe, K&N Air Filter (Stock Air Box), Removed Air SilencerMy Stang

Plane Ticket To Afghanistan= $800
High Powered Sniper Rifle= $1000
Hotel With Accesible Roof= $200
Shooting A Piece Of Shit Like Osama Bin Laden= Priceless

BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 12:14 AM   #8
WADS56
gear banger

Quote:
Originally posted by BowTie Eater 5 Liter:
Call Me An Idiot, But What Is Pro-Shifted?

This is what Jeff Chambers said.
"Basically, the synchros are removed and replaced with solid units that have maybe a third of the teeth to them. This makes it very easy for them to 'catch' when shifting gears; you don't have to wait as long for the system to slow down to the point they'll mesh after you've depressed the clutch. It makes powershift VERY easy and makes it very difficult to miss shifts. There's a sacrifice though. The streetability is gone. What makes it very easy to upshift makes it nearly impossible to downshift. You'll almost have to come to a stop to actually downshift; or depress the clutch and wait a long time (we're talking seconds here) before downshifting to any of the other gears. It also makes the transmission very clunky at low speeds. You'll swear that you're breaking something in the trans when you shift at low speeds, like cruising through pits. It scared the be-jeebers out of me the first time I drove one. You'll notice that with the proshifted unit, its real tough to pull the shifter out of gear without depressing the clutch. However, a light tap of the clutch and the shifter will almost fall out of gear itself and you'll be able to make the 2-3 shift with nothing more than one finger on the shifter.
Proshifting is worth at least two tenths on a low twelve second to low eleven second car. Nearly all of the manual T/S cars showed up proshifted this season...a true sign that it has become an all-out race class."

[This message has been edited by WADS56 (edited 09-26-2001).]
Old 09-26-2001, 06:03 AM   #9
agawam
Registered Member

sounds like what used to be called a crashbox. These were 4spds with every other tooth on the syncros cut so that the only time you used the clutch was in 1st gear, but I don't think a 5spd could take the abuse
agawam is offline   Reply With Quote