MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-22-2005, 04:17 AM   #1
4barrel
Mustang Rookie

Default transmission opinions

my original plans for the car was the drive it until i could get a nice engine and a good transmission combo put together. problem. the stock trans is shot. what would you guys do? pay for another stocker to get by on? would you let the car set until the engine and heavy duty tranny can be bought? would you go ahead and get a tko 500 and put it in behind that stock motor and continue to drive the car...and when the big engine is finished, the trans will already be there? what would you guys do? if i go ahead and get a good trans now, im kind of afraid ill get the wrong one for the new motor, whenever i get it together.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/822269

4barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:10 AM   #2
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Default Re: transmission opinions

TKO500 is rated at 500 ft/lbs. That's the rating, it should handle a little more. If you're gonna be close or over, go with the TKO600.

I've NEVER had good luck buying stuff twice. Unless you found a KILLER deal on a T5, I'd park it until the TKO showed up. Why buy 2 trannies for the car? The TKO is already on the list, but the T5 moved it up higher on the list by diein on ya. That'd be a good time to figure out what clutch you're gonna run, and get that ready to go as well.

Just my $.02!!!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 01:21 PM   #3
4barrel
Mustang Rookie

so i should go ahead with the new trans AND clutch? 10-4

in the december 2005 5.0 magazine, there was an article called "rock the gear box." it was written about a tremec/promotion tko 600 street pro. id like to have that, only in the 500. i doubt ill be putting more than 500 through it.

im used to working on a dirt late model race car. these cars have a fly wheel about the size of a bicycle sprocket. so as far as a mustang clutch goes, im pretty intimidated. what are my options? theyre cable operated, but are there any hydrolic kits out there on the market? would that be a bad choice? if i stayed with the cable, ive heard about two different pressure plate set ups.

what all will i need jester? a heavy duty clutch fork, an adjustable cable (if hydrolic is out of the picture)? will it be ok to put the new clutch in and run it on the stock fly wheel then reinstall it when the big motor comes along with a different fly wheel? sorry for the questionare lol.

Old 11-23-2005, 07:53 PM   #4
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4barrel
what all will i need jester? a heavy duty clutch fork, an adjustable cable (if hydrolic is out of the picture)? will it be ok to put the new clutch in and run it on the stock fly wheel then reinstall it when the big motor comes along with a different fly wheel? sorry for the questionare lol.
What you NEED is to call 1-800-771-8643 and ask for Walt. LISTEN to him!

Forget the hydraulic stuff. Stick with a STOCK cable!

I'm running one of his "Street Pro" trannies (although mine is a TKO II) with his adjuster, his quadrant, and it's BAD AZZ!

He has a heavy duty firewall adjuster, Quadrant, clutch forks, etc etc. Everything you need. He won't steer you wrong. Depending on what clutch you go with is gonna dictate what fork you need. If you're not getting big and nasty with the clutch, no need to do so with the fork. I'm running a RAM long style PP with a 6 puck iron clutch (NOT supposed to work, but it DOES! ), so I had to get a new fork for clearance, strength issues. Next spring there WILL be one of Walt's Kevlar clutches in my car, and whatever else he says I need. Yes, I'm THAT sold on what this dude knows! I literally had 3 people ask me if I was running a C4 or a C6 in the car this year! One guy followed me back to the pits to see for himself cuz he didn't believe me. Walt's trannies are bad to the bone!

MICE need not apply.....

Old 11-25-2005, 01:30 AM   #5
4barrel
Mustang Rookie

good deal. any idea on a price range so i can get started on pulling the funds together? thanks for the help by the way.

Old 11-25-2005, 06:08 PM   #6
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

He has BRAND new 500's listed for $1675 right now, getting it proshifted is gonna be more on top of that, but if you're buying the tranny off of him to begin with, he'll work with you on the proshifting part.

MICE need not apply.....

Old 11-26-2005, 01:21 PM   #7
4barrel
Mustang Rookie

my God that sounds really cheap. fricken A! i appreciate your help jester.