MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-15-2001, 12:26 PM   #1
SN95 5.0
Registered Member

Exclamation transmission problem??

first of all, my stang is a 94 gt with a t-5. my problem is that whenever i am in neutral with the clutch all the way out, i hear a a noise that almost sounds like a squeaking belt. when the clutch is pushed in slightly, the noise changes a little, and when it is pushed all the way in, there is no extra noise. why is my car making this noise?
SN95 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2001, 12:44 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Sounds to me like you've got a bad throwout bearing.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2001, 06:28 PM   #3
SN95 5.0
Registered Member

i'm not very mechanical-- how much do you suppose that would cost to fix, and what is involved in the repair?

thanks
greg
SN95 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2001, 09:50 PM   #4
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

if it is the throwout bearing, which it sounds like to me too,its gonna be kinda pricey if you have a shop do it, i'd estimate about $300, almost all of the price will be in labor, the transmission has to be pulled and then the clutch fork can come out the side of the bellhousing and the throwout bearing can be changed, as long as your in there you might as well put a heavy duty clutch kit in there, about $180 i think and it will come with a new clutch/pressure plate/ and throwout bearing. if you have any friends that can help you, you will save ALOT of money doing it yourself

------------------
88 Notch, B&M Ripper, 3.73's, Ported E7's, Explorer int. w/ ported lower, pulleys, 1.7RR's, BBK headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters, subframes, 65mm TB, March ram air ,MSD coil, U/L control arms, 155lph f/p, Crane Adj.FPR, Nitto drag radials, best 1/4--> 13.76@101.4 on a 2.17 60ft
fiveohpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 01:53 AM   #5
PKRWUD

Agreed. If the T/O bearing is worn, the rest of the clutch assembly should be replaced with it. It would be silly to do all that work and not replace the clutch & pressure plate, too. If you do it yourself, make sure you remove the flywheel and take it to a machine shop to have it surfaced. Otherwise you will have accelerated wear of the clutch disc.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote