MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 10:53 PM   #1
gtnby2
Registered Member

Default Trashed Cam!!!

What happens when you take some one else's word on what you order and just install it with out checking? TEETH SHEARED OFF YOUR CAM!!!!! I got a nice surprise yesterday when I went for a short cruise. Noticed a "hickup" every so often when I left the house but didn't think it was a big deal so i continued on down the road; it was nice out and I had been itching for a ride. On the way back home, I hit the interstate and set the cruise at 62 to just glide back home when BOOM!!! Back fire through the intake several times and I pushed in the clutch to an immediate shut down, coasted into a rest area and popped the hood. adjusted the timing back and forth to no avail, so I called a tow and headed home. checked the timeing and it was 180 out so I took the cap off the distributor and turned it over.....NOT TURNING!!!!! Pulled the distributor and there are no teeth on the cam! Has anyone ever seen this? My dad has worked on cars since 1974 and built plenty of perfomance engines and has never seen it. The wrong distributor gear is the only thing we can think of. Starting on the tear down next week and I plan on jumping up to a XE284H cam (have a XE274H now) and, if the wife wouldn't kill me, a set of AFR185's to replace my SVO Turbo Swirl GT40's. I'll try to keep updates posted.....

351W, 30 over, Comp Cams XE274h, Trick Flow Street Heat intake, AFR185 heads, 70mm TB, 80mm Mass, 24lb inj, Moroso cold air kit, BBK 1 5/8" unequal length headers, 2 1/2" off road X-pipe, 40 series Flowmasters
gtnby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
gtnby2
Registered Member

Default Re: Trashed Cam!!!

update 4/09/2009 Got everthing replaced...details at Replacing the DESTROYED cam!!! - Custom 1991 GT - GTNBY2 - gotstang.com

thanks,
Brad
GTNBY2

351W, 30 over, Comp Cams XE274h, Trick Flow Street Heat intake, AFR185 heads, 70mm TB, 80mm Mass, 24lb inj, Moroso cold air kit, BBK 1 5/8" unequal length headers, 2 1/2" off road X-pipe, 40 series Flowmasters

Last edited by gtnby2; 04-09-2009 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: changed link
gtnby2 is offline   Reply With Quote