MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-16-2001, 04:46 PM   #1
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Angry Need Valve cover leak tips

My valve covers are leaking pretty good lately, mostly the drivers side. The gaskets were supposedly changed a while back, but I wonder if the drivers side was actually done since you have to remove the upper plenum.

What are the best gaskets to use Fel Pro?? While the upper intake is off, anything I should change? Should I get a spacer to go between the upper and lower intake? This is a pretty stock 90 LX. Anywhere I can get some dressup valve covers that don't cost an arm and a leg?? I really want the oil leak to stop soon!!!! TIA guys

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Daily driver. Silencer removed, K&N filter. Flexalite fan, 3 core radiator. FMS flywheel and Clutch, FMS blue wires Energy Suspension end links
88 Notch 2.3L 5 speed Parts/beater car My two Notchbacks

74 Chevy Laguna Type S-3 305 Finally fixed getting a 454 to put in garage
<A HREF="http://www.chevellepages.com/folingo" TARGET=_blank>www.chevellepages.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 05:28 PM   #2
egiap's 5.0
Registered Member

Jegs has a vulcannized rubber over steel frame valve cover gasket. Item # 710-93060
for 39.99. These should be just like OEM. Hope this helps you out.

------------------
Independent Amsoil dealer. For information about amsoil synthetic oil and lubes leave me a message. Ask about preffered customer program and buy at dealer cost.
egiap's 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 05:30 PM   #3
Stang Runner
Registered Member

If you do it alot of times you get good at doing it and only takes about 1 hr to do. It all ways is the drivers side

------------------
14.62@96.9 Engine: Steal Mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, Home ported Lower Intake, No power steering, No A/C
Drive Train: 3.55, World Class T-5,
NOW it is time for Real power STUFF I Have and will put on after I get everthing: Accel DFIMac cold intake, 70MM TB, Valve covers (COOL ONES)255 Fuel pump.
Next to get: rocker arms,Cam,TFS Heads,Injectors 26,Holley intake, What might I need???
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 05:53 PM   #4
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Hmm what about Ford gaskets?? I've seen some of those rubber/steel gaskets for BB chevys and they looked real good. Are the Jegs ones better??
This seems stupid to be worried about a valve cover gasket but whatever is under there certianly did not hold up very long, and I hope not to get too good at this. Man what do guys do that have to adjust lifters like a solid roller etc...
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 07:30 PM   #5
rbatson

When my mechanic was putting in my radiator I had him put on new valve covers at the same time and he called and asked if I wanted to pay more for some gaskets that I wouldn't have to replace. I said, "do I need them?" he said "it would be a good idea", so I got them. They are steel. Good thing too..
Old 08-16-2001, 11:14 PM   #6
WADS56
gear banger

I use the Earls pressure master gaskets. I have my valve covers on and off once a week and I never get a leak. They should last forever.

------------------
NA 347 W/ stage 2 Canfield heads, out of the box Victor 5.0 intake, solid roller cam, Aeromotive fuel system.
MY CAR http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/...splay.cgi?1288
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote