MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-10-2003, 09:54 PM   #1
shacar87
Registered Member

Default Trick Flow intake problems

Has anybody out there run into a problem with the Ford Motorsport X-305 heads and Trick Flow street heat intake ports not matching up? When I put the lower intake on, and look down the ports, the intake is sliding down into the valley to far, you can see about 1/16" to 1/8" of the head underneath the bottom of the intake ports. Trick Flow said it's because the X-305s are milled heads. Well, I asked a few reputable Machine Shops (and Ford Motorsport) in the area and they said if anything, milling would be the opposite....it would move the intake higher (sad to say but it sounds like Trick Flow doesn't know what they're talking about!), not lower! Trick Flow said I needed the .120 thickness Mr. Gasket #213 intake gasket to solve the problem.....they were still mismatched, so I went through the hassle of porting the bottom side of the ports a little to compensate. That gasket lasted about 5 months, not to mention I had to retorque the intake about 6 times before it stopped loosening up. Well, safe to say I won't be dealing w/ Trick Flow anymore! Suggestions???
Old 11-11-2003, 12:00 AM   #2
stang_racer20
Registered Member

actually its your heads if anything that made it all screwed up, cause trick flow uses regular ports in stock locations.
92 Mustang GT, 347 Stroker(Forged Steel Crank/Rods-Balanced, Forged Aluminum Dished Pistons), Trick Flow Track Heat Intake, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads w/ Stage 3 port/polish, 80mm C&L MAF, FMS 30# Inj., BBK AFPR, Trick Flow Stage 2 Cam, Trick Flow 1.6R Rockers, BBK E.L. Headers, Flowmaster Cat-Back, MAC CAI, FMS Pulleys, Griffin Alum. Radiator, MSD Pro-Billet Distributor; AOD, Dynamic 3300 Lockup Converter, B & M Super Cooler, B&M Ratchet Shifter; 3:73 gears.
stang_racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 12:50 AM   #3
shacar87
Registered Member

I thought of that too but it's also possible that the intake is cut on a wrong angle. I have a Performer RPM on it's way, to see if that does the same thing, if it does, then it's probably the heads being cut wrong. I did talk to FMS, and they said there is a known issue with those heads and Holley's Systemax intake not matching up, so I guess it's the old process of elimination now.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:51 AM   #4
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Sorry to hear about your woes, but Trick Flow makes some top-notch products. Maybe you got a bad tech when you called?

I think you'll find that the Edlebrock will do the same thing. Either way, please let us know.

Just out of curiosity, why did you go with the X-305 heads?

Good luck,
E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 09:14 AM   #5
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

My ported GT-40 intake did the same thing with my Canfield heads.

Oddly enough I fixed the problem with a trick flow R intake
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 01:50 PM   #6
Simi Stang

Default Re: Trick Flow intake problems

Quote:
Originally posted by shacar87
Trick Flow said it's because the X-305s are milled heads. Well, I asked a few reputable Machine Shops (and Ford Motorsport) in the area and they said if anything, milling would be the opposite....it would move the intake higher (sad to say but it sounds like Trick Flow doesn't know what they're talking about!),

Well, safe to say I won't be dealing w/ Trick Flow anymore! Suggestions???
My guess is that Trickflow does know what they are talking about. They make great performance parts and are a very reputeable company IMO. Good luck and let us know what the fix is.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:59 AM   #7
shacar87
Registered Member

Well, could be that it's just one of those rare occasions unfortunately. I've heard good and bad about Trick Flow products, just like alot of companies out there. I just recieved a Typhoon upper and lower from Professional Products to see if I have the same problems. Although I will say I am not too impressed with it.....the gasket surfaces are pretty nicked up, the upper to lower gasket is torn in 2 places, the port entrances on the lower are not square or smooth, they're all chopped up and wavy,and there is metal shavings from deburring the ports all over the inside of them (getting a little frustrated now)! Not very "professional" in my opinion!! Not to mention there's a big fat "MADE IN CHINA" in the bottom of the upper casting?!? I'm gonna check out the fit, but i'll definitely be sending it back and getting an Edelbrock Performer RPM. I'll post the outcome when I'm done checking the fit.

The reason I got the X-305s is because that's what came on the long block assembly from Central Coast Mustang in CA., they told me that the difference in HP was only about 5-7 between the X-305s and the optional AFR 165s that were more expensive. At the time, I was pinchin pennies! Plus my Stang is automatic (for now), with a mild converter for daily use, so I didn't want to get too big with the heads and have no bottom end.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:08 PM   #8
Simi Stang

Default manifold & heads

Quote:
Originally posted by shacar87
I just recieved a Typhoon upper and lower from Professional Products to see if I have the same problems. Although I will say I am not too impressed with it.....the gasket surfaces are pretty nicked up, the upper to lower gasket is torn in 2 places, the port entrances on the lower are not square or smooth, they're all chopped up and wavy,and there is metal shavings from deburring the ports all over the inside of them (getting a little frustrated now)! Not very "professional" in my opinion!! Not to mention there's a big fat "MADE IN CHINA" in the bottom of the upper casting?!? I'm gonna check out the fit, but i'll definitely be sending it back and getting an Edelbrock Performer RPM. I'll post the outcome when I'm done checking the fit.

The reason I got the X-305s is because that's what came on the long block assembly from Central Coast Mustang in CA., they told me that the difference in HP was only about 5-7 between the X-305s and the optional AFR 165s that were more expensive. At the time, I was pinchin pennies! Plus my Stang is automatic (for now), with a mild converter for daily use, so I didn't want to get too big with the heads and have no bottom end.
I haven't heard many good things about the China made Typhoon intakes. Many people have said the same as you, about the ports needing deburred, and the gasket surfaces not being smooth. When it comes to that manifold, you get what you pay for.
As for the heads...just so you know the AFR 165s are TORQUE MONSTERS! They are all about making power in the low end...all the way up to 6000 RPMS. It's the 185s that have less low end, and more up top. What size valves come on those X-305s?
Old 11-13-2003, 11:03 PM   #9
shacar87
Registered Member

Well, justtook off the old inake and the gasket was torn in 5 places! It looked like it was 2 normal thickness gaskets glued together. It was shifted all over the place, and no I didn't over torque it> set the Typhoon lower on and bingo! No mismatch! So yes it was the Trick Flow being at fault the whole time. The only thing I could tell that might be the problem was that the thickness of the side of the lower, where the intake meets the head, was only about half the thickness of the Typhoon's thickness there! I am almost 100% sure that it was cut down too far right there, which allowed it to drop down further.

Anyway, the made in China crap is on it's way back, and the Performer RPM is on it's way here!

The x-305's have1.94" intake and 1.54" exhaust valve diameters, 178cc intake and 62cc exhaust port volumes, and they are milled to 58cc chambers out of the box.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:53 PM   #10
Simi Stang

Default nice

Wow...that's good that you figured it out. I guess that Trick Flow manifold was built on a Friday. Let us know how you like that RPM...I'm looking to get upgrade from my Performer sometime soon.