MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-10-2002, 08:33 PM   #1
StripedStangLX
Registered Member

Default trickflow intake install

I was wondering if anyone has done a trickflow street intake install. I am about to do mine but te directions are vague about all vaccuum hookups. Are you supposed to connect them or use the caps they provide to cover them up? Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 03-10-2002, 09:16 PM   #2
DZEE'S LX
Registered Member

Just got done with mine.

The Trick Flow instructions are good for some things but are way lacking in some steps.

The best thing I did was buy a few lengths of different size vacuum hoses. I used almost 3 feet of 3/8 ID.

I just turned both my stock and the TFS intake upside down and transfered all the removable fittings and hoses to the new one. The side port is different, so you can see that you have to use a new section of hose.

Just make sure that you basically have the same lines and hoses as your stock setup. Leave extra length if in doubt because you will not want to pull the intake back off if you find you need a longer hose. I had to put in a longer hose to reach my PCV and also for the hose going into the vacuum tree on the firewall.

I didn't have to use all the fittings that were in the kit.

Wait till you get to fight with those stupid 12 point nuts. I think the TFS guys were on drugs when they decided how much clearance to allow for the nuts. It's a joke that they give torque values because I couldn't possibly get a socket on two of them, even with a swivel. BTW you need a 3/8 12-point box end wrench for them. 5/16 & 3/8 12-point sockets for the others.

Don't thread the studs too far into the lower intake, or you will not get full threads on the nuts.

I was well versed in swear words by the time I was done. I just hated having to take it on and off so many times. Especially since I had to thread it through my strut tower brace that I was too lazy to remove.

Also, cut 4 long bolts to make guide pins to align the lower as you set it down.

Let me know if you have other questions,

Dan
Spec Service (UHP), BFG G-Force KDW's, Turbo Coupe 3.55 rear w/disks, 73mm calipers, Stg 1 Twisted Wedges, TFS Street Intake, 70mm TB, E cam, Crane 1.7's, Aeromotive FPR, BBK 1 5/8 shorties, elec fan, FMS Al Radiator, Moroso Wires, Kenne Bell Ramair, March pulleys, Race Magnums, 190 lph Walbro, FMS Al Dshaft, D/S loop, MM 4point rollbar, FMS C spngs, strut tower brace, Tokico Illuminas, Prothane bushings, MM Lwr Conrol Arms, KB welded subs, Cervini Mach 1 hood/valence/side skirts/wing/airdam.
DZEE'S LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 10:25 PM   #3
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Wow....just in time, probably in the next couple of days my TFS street intake is going on as well.

DZEE'S LX -
Did you notice any difference in power after installing the intake manifold?

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 10:48 PM   #4
DZEE'S LX
Registered Member

Haven't driven it yet.

See my post on my noise.....

Am cleaning up the mess in my garage as I wait to see if anyone has any ideas. A little leary about driving it before I know if it could be a major problem.

Dan
DZEE'S LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 11:56 PM   #5
drudis

Talk about timing...

Dude, you gotta get all of us to finish while YOU be the Guinea pig

Getting there.....
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 12:05 AM   #6
DemonGT
Registered Member

me and my buddy did mine..i remember having to get a longer tube for the PCV but dont remember the rest...and if you still have that stock rubber cover that goes over your distributer...mine didnt fit after words...intakes to big

'91 GT,410W,10.5 to 1 comp,Victor Jr. heads,Victor 5.8 intake,FTI cam,Crane retro fit lifters,Scorpian 1.6 RR's,Melling HV oil pump,MSD distro.,Canton oil pan,FMS flywheel,Romac balancer,FMS timing chain,Accufab 90mm TB,C&L 76mm maf, 42lbers,HD clutch,K&N air filter,Mac long tubes,Pro dumps,powerchamber,FMS 9mm wires,180 thermostat,Ford Racing gauges,5inch Tach,centerline convo pro's,nitto DR's,Pro3i lower control arms,50/50 shocks,3.55 gears,TFS HD diff. cover

Next year:

Tremec TKO,Spec stage 3 clutch,alum driveshaft,complete fuel system

www.angelfire.com/linux/demondan
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 08:19 AM   #7
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

Do exactly what DZEE'S LX said and you'll be set! I had the same problems and did the same thing he did. I too believe the designers of that intake were on crack when they made it. I did notice more power after 4 grand, felt stronger, and in higher rpms the engine seemed to growl more

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust

Last edited by HiFlow5 0; 03-12-2002 at 08:43 AM..
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 02:01 PM   #8
DemonGT
Registered Member

YES! definitly use guide pins...i didnt and the passanger side gasket slide..leting antifreeze into the cylinder....got about half a block and it water locked....trust me..it sucks really bad...to have antifreeze pouring out your exhaust.....nope nope..you definitly dont want a V8 water pump
'91 GT,410W,10.5 to 1 comp,Victor Jr. heads,Victor 5.8 intake,FTI cam,Crane retro fit lifters,Scorpian 1.6 RR's,Melling HV oil pump,MSD distro.,Canton oil pan,FMS flywheel,Romac balancer,FMS timing chain,Accufab 90mm TB,C&L 76mm maf, 42lbers,HD clutch,K&N air filter,Mac long tubes,Pro dumps,powerchamber,FMS 9mm wires,180 thermostat,Ford Racing gauges,5inch Tach,centerline convo pro's,nitto DR's,Pro3i lower control arms,50/50 shocks,3.55 gears,TFS HD diff. cover

Next year:

Tremec TKO,Spec stage 3 clutch,alum driveshaft,complete fuel system

www.angelfire.com/linux/demondan
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote