MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   A-Trim or S-Trim? (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=27659)

Hozer 88GTConv 08-14-2002 10:52 PM

A-Trim or S-Trim?

Here are my conditions...
99 percent daily driver
Pump gas
Don't want to mess with N2O
Right now the motor is at 316 NA RWHP

Right now I am leaning towards a A-trim just because at only 6 psi I can run it on pump gas and still get 400 RWHP.
The S-trim has a lot of other potential tuning and fuel requirements and since this is mainly your sleeper street car, I think it is better to crawl before I walk.
Any thoughtful opinions/lessons learned appreciated.

I am no kidding buying a supercharger this weekend.

7up 08-14-2002 11:33 PM

If you ever want to get an S-trim get it now, it will save you a bunch of money over upgrading the a-trim to an s-trim later. The s-trim comes with the inline t-rex fuel pump. You might just need to add bigger injectors for fuel requirements. I'm not sure how much hp the 24 lbs can handle.

Also the Vortech only claims 70 hp gain with a-trim. That won't get you 400 hp from your current 316.

stevstum 08-15-2002 02:49 PM

I don't know that much about superchargers, but I would go with the s-trim and put the smallest pully on it. I think it is 8lbs. Then when you and your car are ready just change pullies.

Dark_5.0 08-15-2002 03:45 PM

Good advice stevstum............Thats what I would do, It makes since.

Nitrous Al 08-15-2002 03:53 PM

S-trim, dude!:D

mysweetlx 08-15-2002 03:54 PM

Are there other pulleys you can put on a Novi 1000 kit besides the one the kit comes with? Would it be helpful to get the by-pass valve w/ the Novi 1000 even if it's not necessary?

1995MGTS 08-15-2002 04:26 PM

The A-trim can and will get you to 400+rwhp with your set-up. Keep the stock pulley, add a larger crank pulley, powerpiep, good tune, and you're there. However, I would also agree with the others and go with the S-trim if money is not a deciding factor. The S-trim will give you room to grow in the future because believe me, you will want more boost and power down the road. I'm a Powerdyne owner that not only is stuck with no room to grow, my blower doesn't have the reliability of a Vortech.

Then again, isn't Vortech replacing the A-trim with the SC-trim. It's an S-trim with the tips of the vanes cut off to limit the boost but make the A-trim blower more effiecient. Price is supposed to go up only about $100. Might be a good way to go. Good Luck :D

Hozer 88GTConv 08-15-2002 05:40 PM

S-trim it is...

Ordering the S-trim tomorrow. Will post pics and dyno results late next week or week after.
Thanks for all of the input.
Silly me...a-trim?

7up 08-15-2002 08:00 PM

Good choice. I also heard that Vortech was replacing the a-trim with the SC-trim. Wish they would have done that last year.

RdRunnr 08-15-2002 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by stevstum
I don't know that much about superchargers, but I would go with the s-trim and put the smallest pully on it. I think it is 8lbs. Then when you and your car are ready just change pullies.
Superchargers work opposite. The smaller the pulley, the MORE boost you make because you are spinning the blower faster. Just an FYI, the A-trim has been discontinued. The A-trim did not include a t-rex or boost retard which you will need. The s-trim is the most dependable street/strip blower out there. Mine has been running for four years...

08-16-2002 01:47 PM

I would go with the s-trim as well. The a-trim is discontinued. The sc is now out but i still say pass it by. If you are going to run it with the fmu get at least 30lb injectors. Though the best way to go is 42lb injectors and a pro-m 80 getting rid of the fmu.