MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-26-2003, 02:17 AM   #1
Mustvid
Registered Member

Default Injector Question

Can I use the injector on the left? It is missing the pintle as seen on the injector on the right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg injectors 02.jpg (43.5 KB, 49 views)
92 Coupe, Wild Strawberry, Black interior, Jasper Perf AOD, 3:73's
Kanaen Hood, Polished Typhoon Intake.March Underdrives, Mac Cold Air, Mac Ceramic Longtube headers, Flowmaster 2 Chamber, Mac Pro Chamber, Black Magic Fan, Pro-M 75mm MAF, Accufab 65mm TB, MSD Coil, MSD6BTM, 1.7r rockers, FMS 9mm wires
Mustvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 08:14 AM   #2
USMC302
Registered Member

I am going to go with no here IMO because I beleive that is what gives it the great spray effect into the cylinder, without it you would almost have "drips" of fuel instead of a fine mist like normal. Improper fuel delivery into the cylinder could cause damage not only to the plug but to the piston as well. If it is broken or missing, then the next question is where is it? Did it break off in the intake and get into the cylinder? Into the piston ring? It could be causing a fine scatch right into the cylinder wall with the piston rubbing it in, and over time will only get worse and you will have loss of compression, power, produce smoke, etc.. then again it could have just gotten pushed out the exhaust valve, but who knows. If you bought them that way then get it replaced. What size are they because I am sure lots of racers on here have some stockers sitting around the house, even I have 2 sets of them if the are 19lbers. Good luck
Old 11-26-2003, 08:27 AM   #3
tmoss
Registered Member

I have to agree with the Marine on this - I think it will affect the spray pattern.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 09:12 AM   #4
Mustvid
Registered Member

Thanks for both responses. These are the stock injectors and this was the first time they have been pulled since I've owned the car. We recently pulled the oil pan and inspected the cylinder walls and they looked very clean. Nothing out of the normal. So, I can't say where the pintle is. The plug from that cylinder had a more yellow look than the others and my car has been running rich. We pulled codes last night with OTC 4000E EOKO and nothing showed up.

We actually replaced the stockers with some from an Explorer (don't know what year) but the car won't start. Fuel pump turns on, we have fuel pressure and car turns over but sounds like it's not getting fuel in the cylinders. We did an ohm test on these injectors before installation and they checked out okay. I guess they could be clogged or not be the correct impedence (not sure if I know what that means). The bottom line is the car won't start and seems the injectors are the problem.

This is why I was asking about the using the stockers again. If I can't use the Explorer injectors or my stockers I will need to find some good used ones.
Kanaen Hood, Polished Typhoon Intake.March Underdrives, Mac Cold Air, Mac Ceramic Longtube headers, Flowmaster 2 Chamber, Mac Pro Chamber, Black Magic Fan, Pro-M 75mm MAF, Accufab 65mm TB, MSD Coil, MSD6BTM, 1.7r rockers, FMS 9mm wires
Old 11-26-2003, 09:26 AM   #5
USMC302
Registered Member

Check to make sure your injector wiring harness is grounded, for safe measure, re ground it and clean the surface area. Take the #1 injector out of the intake and while some one holds the injector in the fuel rail, turn the motor over to see if it sprays, obvioulsy take the coil wire off the dist so it doesn't fire and place a rag under the spray area, this will tell us if the injector is clogged or not. Look over the wiring again for switched injector connectors. Put a test light on the injector connector to see if the injector is pulsing and to see if you even have voltage at the injector. How much fuel pressure do you have once the pump is primed and how long does it stay that way, does it bleed off quickly? Do you smell strong gas in the exhaust pipes after trying to start it? I suggested the #1 injector because with unbolting the fuel rail you can squeeze it out without removing the intake and everything else. Be very careful not to bend the rails when lifting them to get the injector out.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:00 PM   #6
tmoss
Registered Member

The Explorer injectors with the sqaure molding for the injector connector (orange body) are supposed to be a straight swap in. You can get a noid light at any parts store to plug into the injector harness pretty cheap - no need to pull injector then unless the noid lights up.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

Old 11-26-2003, 06:31 PM   #7
Mustvid
Registered Member

USMC302 & TMOSS,

Thanks for your ideas and wisdom. I will try your recommendations tonight. Never heard of a noid light but will check with Autozone and O'Reilly's tonight. I will let you know what we find out.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:49 AM   #8
tmoss
Registered Member

Yeah, keep us informed. I have an Explorer intake, GT40P heads and Explorer 19# injectors (orange body) ready to go on this winter.

Old 11-30-2003, 10:20 PM   #9
Mustvid
Registered Member

Well the problem was the injectors. We just got it running tonight after swapping the injectors. I don't think the problem is the Explorer injector because they fit and plug in fine. However, no gas was moving through them. So, I assume they injector filters are clogged or the internals are not working. I hate to toss them until I know for sure they can't be salvaged. Any ideas?
Old 12-01-2003, 08:31 AM   #10
tmoss
Registered Member

Well, you can see the connection is identical to the stock 19# injectors, so maybe they are clogged.

Old 12-01-2003, 09:54 AM   #11
Mustvid
Registered Member

Either they are clogged or the internal mechanism in all of them are bad. What's the chances of that happening. Clogged is what I think too. Don't know how long they have been sitting around. I know gasoline can turn get really thick over time. I used to have a problem with my lawn mower between seasons if I didn't run the gasoline out. Don't know if this can happen with injectors or not. Not one of them smelled like gas when we took them out. Do you know how to power them up with a battery? I thought about making a jumper and run it from the battery to the injector then spray some carb cleaner or injector cleaner.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:16 PM   #12
tmoss
Registered Member

Try it, what can it hurt.

Old 12-01-2003, 02:06 PM   #13
Scrapla
Registered Member

Someone on here had a good suggestion on how to really clean your injectors. Take your injector or injectors out use a spare pig tail or some wires, connect the injector to a 9v battery and spray some cleaner in there while connected to it sprays out I havnt tried it but sounds better then soaking them in gas, just my .02

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Scrapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 06:11 PM   #14
Mustvid
Registered Member

Thanks. I heard using a 9 volt battery before but was not sure if 9 volts would power them up. I will give this a try and let everybody know what comes of it. The great thing is my car is running again after being jack stands for a week! Got my long tubes and Pro Chamber on and replaced pan gasket and oil pump. The bad thing is I'm away on business until Friday!
Old 12-02-2003, 03:32 AM   #15
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustvid
Thanks. I heard using a 9 volt battery before but was not sure if 9 volts would power them up. I will give this a try and let everybody know what comes of it. The great thing is my car is running again after being jack stands for a week! Got my long tubes and Pro Chamber on and replaced pan gasket and oil pump. The bad thing is I'm away on business until Friday!
It sounds MEAN! Good work.

<----- Got the H-pipe today and got it coated. Rear main seal goes on tommorow after some job hunting. Might even tackle the oil pan gasket as well. Don't want the new exhaust getting dirty.
Bad89stang is offline   Reply With Quote