MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-05-2001, 02:42 PM   #1
fastang
Registered Member

Post BBK cold air induction

I have a K&N drop in filter, a TB and a MAF. Will the cold air induction realy make a difference? I was considering buying one from summit for $169.00 Anyone know dyno numbers? Will I realy get the ten-15 hp. I seriously doubt it but I would realy appreciate some input....thanks

------------------
95GT B303 cam, 1.7 rockers, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF, milled heads, 355's K&N, off road pipes, pulleys, msd coil, 9mm wires, Tremec 3550, Pro5.0 shifter,10.5 Motorsport clutch, FMS aluminum driveshaft, weld in subframe connectors
fastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 02:47 PM   #2
rtz
Registered Member

Arrow

I'd like to get this for my car, but I don't want to shell out ~$90 for it. :/

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=34002

It'd sure beat having that stock air box though.
rtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 03:36 PM   #3
fastang
Registered Member

I believe that setup is for a fox, I have an SN95 5.0 Still I have heard that they are actualy worse than the stock setup because they suck up heat from the motor (which kinda eliminates the "cold" in "cold air induction" Im thinking about saving the cash for a GT40 intake but if this will really help then Im gonna buy it too.

------------------
95GT B303 cam, 1.7 rockers, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF, milled heads, 355's K&N, off road pipes, pulleys, msd coil, 9mm wires, Tremec 3550, Pro5.0 shifter,10.5 Motorsport clutch, FMS aluminum driveshaft, weld in subframe connectors
Old 03-05-2001, 03:42 PM   #4
dinomite
The Dude

You can expect 15 horsepower if you had a small child or kitten stuck in your airbox.......but other wise, no. Over stock you get about 5-7, almost in the range as the infamous pullies that everyone loves. Get a k&n cone, and then rip out your airbox. Look at how stuff needs to be routed, then go to Home Depot and look at all the lovely PVC piping in the plumbing department. If you don't like the white look, you can get ABS piping thats next to all the PVC stuff, simmilar, just black the ABS is. If you have an unnatural fascination with PVC piping, like myself, you will eventually understand its powers and make new things: http://www.goldmann.com/spudgun.html
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 05:50 PM   #5
CJ's94GT
Registered Member

I thought it was a good idea too. I got tired of waiting on BBK so I got the MAC one. After I lost my THIRD $40 K&N filter doing 70mph on the freeway I decided it wasn't worth 10 hp and ripped it off.

When it was on, I "thought" it felt more powerfull. Sounded great, though. Really heard the air getting sucked into the motor.

Besides, one of my sillycone hoses that connects the tube to the TB got ripped and I can't find a replacement anywhere.

Has BBK actually started making these things yet? I waited a year and a half and, last I heard, they still didn't have any production pieces yet.
CJ's94GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 05:56 PM   #6
fastang
Registered Member

yeah, check the summit catalog. It looks totaly sweet. If its worth it Im gonna pick it up.

------------------
Old 03-05-2001, 07:51 PM   #7
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation

I've had the Moroso 'cheapie' model cold-air induction kit since '99 and I love it.
Easy install and no problems. They give you about 3-4 HP (maximum) over a K&N in a stock airbox. The '15 HP gain' is more like 10, at best, and only if you had a stock filter in a stock housing and the silencer still in place.

My recommendation is that this is a nice mod if you have (and intend to keep) stock heads and cam and are trying to squeeze every available HP out of a basically stock 5.0.
That would be me.
If you have or intend to get heads, etc then the few HP a cold-air induction kit gives you is not going to be noticed and isn't really worth the money, in my opinion.
They do clean up the engine bay and if that's important to you, than you may want to invest in a kit. I suggest the Moroso for price and because of my good personal experience with it, but it's not a 'looker'.
Finally; they do sound great at WOT!

fastang:

FYI: The cold-air induction kits place the filter in the inner wheelwell (away from the road) and do suck up cooler 'outside' air.
The older K&N kits that placed the oversized fiter in the engine compartment were not a great mod and not the same as the newer, cold-air induction kits.

[This message has been edited by Mr 5 0 (edited 03-05-2001).]
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 08:18 PM   #8
fastang
Registered Member

Mr.5.0 I have seen these advertized on fox bodies before where the filter was in the wheelwell but not for my SN95. Does Moroso make one for my car? All the setups I see for my car keep the filter in the engine bay with a metal plate behind it to block heat.
My friend of mine ran over a mud puddle in his integra and his fender mount cold air induction sucked up water and hydrolocked a piston. Have you ever heard of this happening to a stang? Thanks for your advice, you have been quit helpful so far

------------------
Old 03-05-2001, 09:45 PM   #9
rbatson

Why don't you just make one like I did. I had a picture of it posted in the lounge a couple weeks back. Its the same thing..
Old 03-05-2001, 09:54 PM   #10
chris91LX
Registered Member

Exclamation

The BBK kit is a piece of S...!! I ordered it and it didn't fit right. For $160 I expected it to at least fit, but the angles were all a little off and the whole thing felt like it would pop off the second I opened up the throttle. I sent it back to Summit and bought the Mac kit from GTR for $30 less and it fit very well. I didn't notice a huge increase in hp or anything but it sure looks cool. The Mac kit also doesn't have a big plaque on it advertising their name like the BBK one does. I haven't had any problems with it, but my pony has been in storage for the winter. I took it out for the first time on Saturday and it rocked! My $.02 is to stay away from the BBK if your gonna go for it. It's mostly for looks as far as I'm concerned, I'm not expecting a huge hp increase.

------------------
91 LX 5.0
Z t-5, 3:73 gear, Vortech 73mm Mass Air, Accufab 65mm TB, BBK underdrives, Crane HI-6S Ignition, BBK unequal length headers, Bassani x pipe, 2.5" Dynomax Super Turbo cat back, Kenny Brown Super Subs, Factory Five Control Arms, Mac cold air kit and more to come!
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 11:05 PM   #11
rtz
Registered Member

Smile

MAC 94-95 Mustang Cold Air induction: $140.00

http://www.jdsperformance.com/index....id=94&fcmd=cat
rtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 09:37 AM   #12
fastang
Registered Member

Sweet. Thanks guys Ill get the Mac.

------------------
Old 03-06-2001, 09:49 AM   #13
88COBRA
STANGPOWER.COM

I sell the MAC cold air inatkes, much cheaper then anyone else.

Check out my site, under the Stang Shop!

Ian

------------------
Ian Sim
webmaster@stangpower.com
STORED: 1988 Mustang GT "Canadian Cobra", stock, AOD, loaded
LOTS OF PRODUCTS, AWESOME PRICES! Visit my site:
http://www.stangpower.com

88COBRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 09:56 AM   #14
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I've heard a lot of people say the BBK units are crap. Do yourself a favor and get the MAC unit if you are going to get one. And get a fenderwell one while you are at it. To me it would just be worse if the filter was right next to the engine sucking up all that hot air. Just an opinion though.

If you already have a K&N you probably won't notice any difference in power, but to me it's worth it to have one because they make the engine bay look so much cleaner.

Go here and check out their price on the MAC unit... http://www.mustangwarehouse.com
That's a site I did for a guy out of New York and he has some pretty good prices on stuff.

------------------
Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 03:27 PM   #15
terrible0ne
Registered Member

I have the bbk cold air on my 87lx and it does fit tight but if you take your time it will go on and it does help in power over the stock set up but how much can depend they say for every 10degree drop is worth 1% so it depends on the temp but I would say 7-10 on a good day and a clean filter
terrible0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 04:54 PM   #16
chris91LX
Registered Member

Just for the record I got mine from GTR High Performance in Rancho Cucamonga (I love that name) California. Delivered to my door it was $132.24 and it got here in the Chicago area in 4 days. Their phone # is 888-HIPOGTR and their web address is www.ietoday.com/gtrhipo

------------------
91 LX 5.0
Z t-5, 3:73 gear, Vortech 73mm Mass Air, Accufab 65mm TB, BBK underdrives, Crane HI-6S Ignition, BBK unequal length headers, Bassani x pipe, 2.5" Dynomax Super Turbo cat back, Kenny Brown Super Subs, Factory Five Control Arms, Mac cold air kit and more to come!
Old 03-06-2001, 04:55 PM   #17
chris91LX
Registered Member

Sorry, double post.

[This message has been edited by chris91LX (edited 03-06-2001).]
Old 03-06-2001, 06:43 PM   #18
stroker393

I know they make em cause I have one sitting right here with my heads, intake, injectors, etc. waiting for the snow to melt to dump into my 393 stroker