MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-27-2002, 06:51 AM   #1
WADS56
gear banger

Default tubes in a tubeless tire?

I have a set of m/t's mounted on a set of Welds with rim screws. I just bought a set of BFG raidial's and had them mounted on another set of rims. As it turns out the back spacing is not correct on the rims so the tires will rub on the fender lip (rolled in).
Can I mount the BFG's on the welds with the tubes? I don't think they would seal because of the rim screws.
Thanks,
Wade
Ricer hater's club member #49
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 07:17 AM   #2
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

It should work if you can find inner tubes. Make sure there are no rough places or projections inside the wheel to chaffe the inner tubes and rub holes in them.
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 09:59 AM   #3
WADS56
gear banger

I have tubes from the slicks that are on the rim now. The tires are the same size so that should not be a problem.
Ricer hater's club member #49
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 03:52 PM   #4
MiracleMax
Registered Member

tubes in a tubeless tire, in a word NO

A tubeless tire has a thin membrane (interestingly enough called the inner liner) a bout a red, you know what hair thick. The entire purpose of this inner liner is to prevent air from seeping out. The inner liner is composed of synthetic rubber as opposed to the natural rubber on the outside of the tire. The purpose being , the synthetic rubber is not as permeable to the air in the tire as natural rubber would be. However, synthetic rubber does a piss poor job of rejecting heat (to which natural rubber is far superior). Now onto the problem this creates. By placing a tube in a tubeless tire, you have two items rubing against each other, building up heat and neither one being very good at rejecting it. As the heat builds the inner liner and tube begin to deteriorate at a greater degree than if used properly. This can lead to catastrophic failure of the tire (which could at best lead to inconvience or worse a life threatening situation).

Most people get lucky (including stupid me before I gleaned a sliver of knowledge on the subject) and get away with using a tube in a tubeless tire, however remeber your in a lose/lose situation here if you do decide to mount a tube in a tire
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote