MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-04-2002, 01:54 AM   #1
Robocop
Registered Member

Default tubular k-member???

What are the advantages of a tubular k-member?And how hard are they to install?I ask this because I have my entire motor out of the car and was curious if now would be a good time to install one before I drop in my 331.I figured since the motor is out it would be much easier now.I tried a search but could not find an explanation of what this part actually is.Thanks for any help.
Old 07-04-2002, 09:29 AM   #2
drudis

Go to Mustangworks the tech articles on how Rudy did it.

The advantages are weight, but with Griggs, you get revised geometry for _substantial_ handling characteristics.

See my homepage my MY install photos.
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 04:44 PM   #3
dinomite
The Dude

As was stated, you get some good weight advangages as well as improved suspension geometry. Those put together give you a much better handling car, and coupled with something like FMS B or C springs, the difference is amazing. If you've got the money, now is the time to swap it out; springs are easy enough to do at a later date, though you can also get tubular A-arms to go with the K-member (saving more weight) and those (usually/always) require a coilover setup.
Old 07-04-2002, 07:09 PM   #4
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

I utilize a Griggs K-member and tubular A-arms and QA1 coil-overs(at the time of purchase D&D was the only other manufacturer of a tube k-member, now the market is flooded with choices)

As far as the revised geometry goes, the k-member sets the tires forward and out for a longer wheel base and wider track width for high speed stability and better weight transfer depending on what you use it for (I drag race). The obvious difference is going to be weight savings. You also have the option of setting the motor back 1" like I did... you have to shorten the driveshaft and possibly modify your x-member depending on your tranny setup.

More header clearance (AJE is claimed to have the most, I believe) and easier access to the starter is also a plus. It just makes everything "cleaner" underneath

As far as installation, you have to get some plumb-bobs and square the k-member with the rear end, which the directions with the griggs unit are pretty thorough... IMHO.

Good luck with your choice for a k-member... the griggs is a nice piece, but the AJE is what all the drag racers rant/rave about. I've had my griggs k-member since '97 and the only complaint I have is that it puts the tires really close to the front/lower part of the fender well... I had to do some cutting to get the 17'' Konig villans I ran a couple years ago until making it an all-out drag car, the skinnies clear nicely

Hope this helps...

edited to add: the griggs k-member comes powder coated gray, others come powder coated black

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 01:06 AM   #5
Robocop
Registered Member

Thanks for the information on this. I am considering this purchase solely for the neatness and less clutter underhood.I did not realize this part had such a drastic effect on handling.I have put so much effort into planning my motor I completely neglected the handling side of modifications.I guess the handling is the next logical phase if I want a complete package for performance.Thanks again for the help.