MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Tubular K member (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=49864)

meknized 07-09-2007 11:59 AM

Tubular K member

Hello,

Has anyone in here have a tubular K memeber? I am seriously intersted in buying one, but I want to keep the stock A arms, since I have the drag springs and Lakewood 70/30 struts. Are they street worthy and will they hold up to daily street usage? What company do everyone think is the best?

USMC302 07-09-2007 03:50 PM

Re: Tubular K member

I run the UPR K-member and A Arms with the coil over kit. The coil over kit that comes with it is pretty streetable. Don't forget the Bump steer kit as well. I recommend UPR all the way. Good luck.

Dog5ohfun 09-08-2007 12:53 AM

I bought the QA1 tubular K member because you were supposed to be able to use the stock A arms. I got everything together and there was no way we were getting the stock springs back in. The A arm mounts were about an inch higher up towards the body thereby closing the amount of space for the spring. I called QA1 and they told me you could use stock A arms but they didn't recommend it. So I did the whole coil over conversion. Don't get me wrong, I like the conversion I just wish I would have known up front that they recommended the entire conversion. Although now that I think about it, maybe with lowering springs it would work. Good luck shopping.

meknized 09-08-2007 05:49 PM

Thanks for the tip. According to Laurel Mountain Mustang, they say they have a K- member that will work, however I have a friend with a '92 LX that has that one on and he has had to have it welded two times. Not that it broke through or anything but he was having cracks where the mounting pads that attach to the frame and the tubular structure were cracking. I don't know if it his driving, (extremely aggresive with a 347) or the quality of the product. It definitely steered me from buying that brand though.

USMC302 09-10-2007 09:10 PM

What brand is he using?

banch 09-17-2007 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dog5ohfun (Post 332213)
I bought the QA1 tubular K member because you were supposed to be able to use the stock A arms. I got everything together and there was no way we were getting the stock springs back in. The A arm mounts were about an inch higher up towards the body thereby closing the amount of space for the spring. I called QA1 and they told me you could use stock A arms but they didn't recommend it. So I did the whole coil over conversion. Don't get me wrong, I like the conversion I just wish I would have known up front that they recommended the entire conversion. Although now that I think about it, maybe with lowering springs it would work. Good luck shopping.

do you have a kit like that ?? HAL QA1 Mustang Pro-Active Systems: HAL-MU1LR - summitracing.com

if yes, do you use your car every days on the street ? and how do you like it ? what spring rate did you choose ? because I want to buy it but I don't know if it's good to use it on street and go to drag only 3-4 times a year... tank you

meknized 09-17-2007 09:10 PM

I beleive my friend said that his was from Laurel Mountain Mustang. It uses the stock A-arms and springs. I don't know if LMM made there own K member or not or are a distributor for someone else.

Dog5ohfun 09-27-2007 10:03 PM

I believe the kit from Summit is the one that I purchased in individual components. So far I enjoy it. I have not done any tuning and have not been to the track. It is really responsive on the street. I believe that I got 250# coils. I think it is a little rough sometimes but as I have said I have not adjusted the struts yet. I wish I would have known that they sold it as a kit, I think it saves like $300.00 or so. Good luck.