MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Turbo gurus needed! (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=23528)

mysweetlx 05-10-2002 01:04 PM

Turbo gurus needed!

I'm thinking about possibly going w/ a turbo kit. I've already done heads, intake, increased injector size and intank pump, upgraded TB and MAF, full exhaust, JMS chip, etc etc......stock bottom end. I've been thinking of adding a bottle w/ 125-150 horses, but I've recently switched gears a little. I've got about $8k to spend in the next 3 years and I had 3 different set of mods for eac of the next years. Can I just add a turbo kit and add a tremec tranny/better clutch/etc to my existing set up or do I need to do extra prep? I talked to a local turbo shop and they said it'd be $4k for the base kit + $1k to install it +,$1500 for a new computer + $295 for new distributor + labor on that stuff.....totalling out at about $7k. Is it even necessary to get a whole new cmputer and distibutir or will the stock pieces be ok w/ my JMS retuned????

Stang Runner 05-10-2002 01:16 PM

that sounds a bit high to me more like 4-5k of it installed But it really depns On what it all comes with..... and what Power you wish to make with it...
look at this site and read Up a bit http://www.turbomustangs.com./

91GTturbo 05-10-2002 06:54 PM

Re: Turbo gurus needed!

Quote:

Originally posted by mysweetlx
I'm thinking about possibly going w/ a turbo kit. I've already done heads, intake, increased injector size and intank pump, upgraded TB and MAF, full exhaust, JMS chip, etc etc......stock bottom end. I've been thinking of adding a bottle w/ 125-150 horses, but I've recently switched gears a little. I've got about $8k to spend in the next 3 years and I had 3 different set of mods for eac of the next years. Can I just add a turbo kit and add a tremec tranny/better clutch/etc to my existing set up or do I need to do extra prep? I talked to a local turbo shop and they said it'd be $4k for the base kit + $1k to install it +,$1500 for a new computer + $295 for new distributor + labor on that stuff.....totalling out at about $7k. Is it even necessary to get a whole new cmputer and distibutir or will the stock pieces be ok w/ my JMS retuned????
Around $3800 - $5000 is the price range for most turbo kits. The kits around the lower end price range are street kits and are single turbo setups. They'll allow you to keep your AC and power steering.

The $4500 and up kits are usually twin turbos or a big single turbo. They often require the removal of your AC and power steering.

You can get a twin kit that keeps everything in place, but you want need it unless your dead set on having twins. Most single kits can make enough power to split your block in two anyway.

The computer and distributor and total bull. Maybe you need that to add to an import to get it to run right, but not on a mustang. A good dyno tune and a chip burnt, if you even need it, will run you about $500 give or take, depending on where you get it done. You would be better off to sell your current chip and have one burnt for your car while it's on the dyno. That way it can be burnt exactly for your car.

I run the stock computer with no chip and have no problems at all. And I know of alot of other guys doing the same thing.

Looking at your current mods, if you add a turbo, your going to need to upgrade injectors again and fuel pump unless your going to run low boost all the time. You've also got the right gears in place for now. A turbo loves to stay in each gear as long as possible. Most guys run 3.08's or 3.27's. The f-cam is also a pretty good cam with turbo cars. The stock cam and 1.7 rr are good for mid 10's in the 1/4, but since you've alreay got it in, you might as well keep it.

Most kits come with alot of the stuff you already have like injectors, fuel pump, and passenger side header. If you call some of the turbo kit manufactures, you might even get a kit for a little cheaper than I provided.

I'm adding Edelbrock heads, 1.7 rr, and upgrading my fuel system as we speak and I hoping to make around 400 rwhp on about 6-10 lbs of boost with pump gas, who knows with race gas and a little more boost. The potential is there with your car to make alot more than mine right now.

As far as you transmission, you'll never get it to hook, but it sure will be alot of fun spinning through fourth gear :D . You will probably need to upgarde, if the simple fact that turbo cars make ungodly torgue. The stock transmission won't hold up to it. That's one reason I'm not pushing it for now.

Good luck and sorry it's so long, I'm get carried away trying to help sometimes.

91GTturbo 05-10-2002 06:55 PM

Re: Re: Turbo gurus needed!

double post

mysweetlx 05-13-2002 12:52 PM

Thanks 91GTurbo.....you've been very helpful. I'm planning on upgrading to a tremec and better clutch soon anyway. As far as suspension mods, I've got Southside Machine weld-in subs and MAC upper/lower rear control arms, Lakewood 70/30 fronts and 50/50 rears. Will I need anything else or just slicks?

91GTturbo 05-13-2002 06:22 PM

Sorry man, I have always been able to get them to make power, but I've never been able to get one to hook :D . I would think with the suspension mods you have and a good set of slicks, you would be ok. Try making a new post about suspension mods and see what some of the other guys have to say.

Glad I could help with the turbo stuff, sorry about the suspension mods.