MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-04-2002, 12:50 PM   #1
Sonics2042
Registered Member

Default Turbo vs. Supercharger vs Other on 93 cobra

Hello,

Usually with forced induction, I would say that most other cars prefer TurboChargers over SuperChargers...With Mustangs, it seems like most people go with SuperChargers. I am just wondering if this is true, and why people might go with one or the other.

Also wondering, what the benefits of each of them are...As far as cost for hp, reliability, gas mileage and anything else that might play a factor.

Also, I have a friend who says his friend has a 'whipplecharger'...WTF is that!??!

For a 93 Cobra or a 90 LX (should I keep my car...), which form of forced induction would be best for overall reliability, power, and stuff like that. I am willing to pay a bit more (not TOO much) for the best...

Thanks,
DoranW
Sonics2042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 01:07 PM   #2
95mustanggt
Registered Member

You ask a good question and I think you'll get a few answers all going in different directions.

Turbos (and I am not an expert) are powered by the engines exhuast flow. They are more efficient than superchargers. They also are famous for the "Turbo Lag" effect were the turbos must spool up before they start to kick out any power. I'm sure some one will claim this to not be a factor as with proper tuning and setup you will minimize the turbo lag, they are probably right.

Turbos cost a lot more to set up to get the same amount of power, however they do give more horsepower per PSI than a supercharger does (efficiency! ).

There are several types of Superchargers. There is the centrifugal type supercharger which is like a Vortech Blower. These blowers sit in front of the engine and deliver more power as the engine RPM increases, IE full boost at 5000 RPM. I think that these blowers are a little more common (especially the Vortech) and are probably the cheapest way to add power to your car.

A Roots type blower (or your friends whipplecharger) sits on top of the engine and gives a more instantaneous boost (IE full boost at 2000 RPM). These are the types of blowers that the Ford Lightning has and Saleen mustangs have. I would say they are more reliable and slightly more costly than a centrifugal blower (but still cheaper than a turbo).

The choice is up to you, it depends on what you want from the car and how much money you want to spend. Any of the above systems can provide reliability and power, it's just going to cost you $$$

I'm sure the guys here will add more specific details.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 08:25 PM   #3
Mach 1
Registered Member

Todays turbo set ups are nice, as they have come a long way in terms of reliability and power, and also reducing "turbo lag", and they are more effiecient.

However, for a street car, I prefer supercharger for ease of installation and price.

Turbos can be a hassle to install with all the extra exhaust plumbing reguired.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 08:36 PM   #4
91GTturbo
Registered Member

The reason most people go with a supercharger over a turbo is because turbo manufactures are known for taking quiet a while to get you a complete kit. One of the turbo manufactures right now has over a 1 year wait to get their kit. You can pick up the phone now and have just about any supercharger to your door in about two days.

I'm a little biased, I think the wait is well worth it. Plus not all of them have such a long wait, just some. Call George at Turbo Technology, I think you can get the street kit like I have within a few weeks. My kit is good for 600 hp, enough to split the block in two. Everyone ordering wants a race kit or twins, that will put the wait longer. Go with something simple like a single, the engine compartment want be as cramped, and you can still make good power.

As far as reliability, some might argue, but a supercharger is spun by the crank, butting excessive wear on the bearings. A turbo is run from the exhaust, you be the judge.

And yes, the ole turbo lag theroy. Right now the most boost I run is 10 lbs, and I see it by 2300 rpm. If I have any lag, I can't tell it. If you choose a bigger turbo, like a T-72 or something I'm sure you might experience some lag.

As far a money comparison between the two. Yes a turbo will run you about $4000 minimum, although you get just about everything you need (i.e; headers and exhaust, intercooler, mass air, fuel pump, boost gauge, some even sell the injectors). To get a supercharger setup with intercooler is going to cost you around $3000+ I think. Then when you buy headers and all the other stuff mentioned with the turbo kit, I would think you'll easily have $4000+.

With a turbo you can really sneak up on people, it doesn't whine until you into the boost. Everybody and their brother knows when you have a supercharger under the hood.

A turbo is harder to tune though, I've got to give the supercharger the advantage there. But if properly tuned turbo is put up against a supercharger, the turbo is going to win.

Both are great, it's all up to you to decide. Go to www.turbomustangs.com. Look at the readers rides for some actual performance numbers, plus there are links to all the manufactures, so you can make some calls.