MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-05-2002, 10:06 AM   #1
yarimon
Registered Member

Unhappy Two Problems / Two Questions

I have a stock 92 GT (bought it new, never modified it). It has about 85k miles on it, and a couple of problems. First, after driving for 30-45 minutes, when you stop the engine bay gives off a strong sweet smell. I thought it might be antifreeze, but it does not seem to be losing any. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Secondly, my AOD Overdrive band went out. Since the tranny has so few miles on it, I would like to just get the OD band replaced with a HD one but all the local shops want to do a full rebuild. Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to just replace the band and how much it should cost? I would really appreciate any help! If I need to rebuild, I would prefer just getting a new HD AOD if anyone can recommend a good one (i.e. Lentech, B&M, etc..).

Finally, any good bolt on power upgrade suggestions would be welcomed. I am a novice when it comes to cars, but am handy.

Thanks!
yarimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 11:07 AM   #2
jerrys84
Registered Member

only thing i can think of that'd smell 'sweet' is anti-freeze... a small leak would'nt show much loss, but you would be able to smell it..

my .02

previous stangs;

lightly modded 84GT

81 2.3 converted to 302 auto
jerrys84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 09:32 PM   #3
shadow
Registered Member

The smell under the hood is most likely anti-freeze. The overflow bottle has a vent on the side that the smell might be escaping from. Now, about the transmission. If you are going to have the OD band replaced, why not go ahead and have the tranny redone? It is already apart and has 85k on it. This is the time when you can have it built up to your specs. On my old GT, I had it rebuilt with a Lincoln Mark VII kit (kevlar bands), hardened input shaft, and a shift kit. All this was done while the tranny was out for a rebuild and it didn't cost much more.

Good luck......................
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote