MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-04-2003, 05:20 PM   #1
5ohCOUPE
Registered Member

Default Typhoon or Performer RPM ??

They look the same but is the quality the same on the Typhoon compared to the RPM intake?? I can get the Performace products intake for 350 bucks all day but the RPM is 500. If they are the same, why spend 500 when you can get a polished intake for 350? Im just curious if the quality control on the performance products Typhoon intake is ok. Also how did they get away with making this intake without Edelbrock sueing their ***.
91 LX COUPE, 3.73 gears, 2 1/2 inch H-Pipe, 1 5/8 MAC long tube headers, 73 MM C&L MAF, 70 MM MAC TB, LUNATI cam,1.7 TFS Rockers, TFS Track Heat heads, TFS Track Heat intake, T5 with PRO 5.0 shifter, Griffin aluminum radiator, Fluid Damper, SSM traction bars, 190 GPH in tank fuel pump. And more to come.
5ohCOUPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 06:56 PM   #2
drtbiker
Registered Member

basically the typhoon intake was suppose to be sold by mac.. atleast that is what i was told. I heard they were manufactured by the same company that use to manufacture edelbroch but then they couldnt get agree on a price so then perfessional products bought the ones that were manufactured and no more were produced. Sounds far fetched but that is what i heard. So far i have no complaints on the intake, except I had to cutomize my hood with a hammer. It was wearing down on the casting so if u have a stock hood watch out the intake sits high

later
mods: 3:73's, off road h-pipe, b303 cam in gt- 40 motor w/ Power Plus intake, edelbrock 70mm tb & egr spacer, 72mm C&L, bbk long tubes, tremec tranny, centerforce dual friction clutch, upr and lwr CA's 255lph FP and soon more to come.... when i have money again

SOME ADVICE
Don't do burn outs in reverse it is very expensive
New times with dead hook on dr's 13.27@103 with 2.0 60 foots w/100lb system

Fastest time to date: 12.8@113
drtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 10:41 AM   #3
UglyFast88
Registered Member

How much did you have to pound- I'm looking at one of these intakes also...

I don't really want to buy a cowl hood!

Thanx

1998 Explorer motor
1.7 Roller Rockers
GT-40 lower ported & polished
Cobra upper intake
MAC CAI
Aluminum Pullies
FRPP P-Shortys
Cop car cam (to insult)
Competition Engineering F/R adjustables
Flowmasters
New black carpet
and...

'84 Racin' Tempo seats!

Cars' best run in 2002 with stock 150,000 mile 302 with pullies, exhaust and roller rockers only...

13.27 at 101.5 mph
UglyFast88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 12:10 PM   #4
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

From what I've heard the quality is crap.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 07:15 PM   #5
drtbiker
Registered Member

not too much lol i try to keep everything under the hood as much as pos i am trying to stay away from a cowl aswell
mods: 3:73's, off road h-pipe, b303 cam in gt- 40 motor w/ Power Plus intake, edelbrock 70mm tb & egr spacer, 72mm C&L, bbk long tubes, tremec tranny, centerforce dual friction clutch, upr and lwr CA's 255lph FP and soon more to come.... when i have money again

SOME ADVICE

Old 03-09-2003, 01:45 AM   #6
mike72678
MW Link Sponsor

1sy of all , the typhoon was never supposed to be manufactured by mac , they are manufactured by a company called proffesional products in california . 2nd , the quality is not crap . It is almost identical to the edelbrock , and the polished one is still $75 cheaper . I am a Proffesional Products dealer and I have personally seen the quality , and it is pristine , it is just like any other aftermarket manifold you will buy , sure there is some flash and the ports are not absolutely perfect , but absolutely none of them are . Trust me I know this , I have seen them all bolted up. 3rd , these intakes are made in the USA .
mike72678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 02:07 AM   #7
Technick
Registered Member

I have also personally seen the Typhoon intake. Not crap, BUT not Edelbrock quality either! Edelbrock casts there own intakes, have for what 50 years? They have by far advanced the casting techniques for aluminum intakes more than almost anyone else. They have advanced intake flow technology more than anyone else also. If you are going to work over a intake, port match to the heads ect. and generally screw around with it, then the Typhoon may be the intake for you for the money. As far as out of the box performance/fit/finish the Edelbrock intake is the better bargin, IN MY OPINION!!!!!! Boy I do not want to offend anyone!
Old 03-09-2003, 03:44 PM   #8
429mustang
Registered Member

I'm sure your gonna defend the product more than the average person BUYING the products being that you work for them. Why would someone else say they have sh*tty quality if they really didn't, if anything I'd think they'd make sure to tell everyone their products were good if they really were, being they're cheaper than edelbrock. I haven't seen them, so I can't say how they are, but it seems like your real quick to take offense to negative opinions to your companies "PRISTINE" products. Do you have a REAL opinion about them, have you used one of their intakes on your car and compared it to the edelbrock intakes that Professional Products seem to be trying to duplicate for a cheaper price? As an employee, you should probably be trying to find out what peoples opinions are, ESPECIALLY if they are bad, and letting the company know what they need to do in order to bring up sales.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:13 PM   #9
drtbiker
Registered Member

hey mike not to start a flame war but i could of swarn on the box it said made in china, but like i said that is what i was told about the typhoon intake and i ment i didnt know it was true or not

SOME ADVICE

Old 03-10-2003, 09:51 PM   #10
Pissed331
Registered Member

The casting compared to the edelbrock leaves alot to be desired.
Pissed331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 10:14 PM   #11
mike72678
MW Link Sponsor

1st of all , I never said I worked for professional products . I sell their line of products , along with practically every other intake manufacturer so why would I "defend" them when I also sell trick flow , edelbrock , and holley . I think for the money , the typhoon intake is the best bang for your buck depending on your set up . I did not think some people would actually be bothered by this , but I guess that is what forums are for , so you can take a bunch of different opinions and put them together to configure your own . By the way , I think that I may have jumped the gun saying that they are made in the USA , I know they are an american company and that they are engineered and designed in the USA but I can not prove that they are molded here , I will look into it though . This manifold however will outflow a trick flow track heat manifold (not by much , and yes it has been tested on a dyno) and looks very nice under the hood .
Old 03-11-2003, 12:26 AM   #12
drtbiker
Registered Member

hey yeah i love the intake and i could defiently feel the power when i swaped it with my stocker.....
later

SOME ADVICE

Old 03-12-2003, 12:50 AM   #13
Chris_H
Registered Member

I just put my intake on last week, and noticed a decent difference in the car. I am pretty happy with it, EXCEPT for the runners. I have to admit that mine looks like some 5 yr old was paid with kool-aid to clean up the runners, and the ports. If I didn'd have the intake on the car, I would send you some pictures so you know what I am talking about. I guess a dremel and some time would clean them up pretty good for pretty cheap. All in all, I would get another one, but spend a week or so cleaning up the ports/runners.

Chris
Old 03-12-2003, 11:35 PM   #14
mike72678
MW Link Sponsor

I am sorry for the mislead on this but I contacted Professional Products today , and it is made in China , but it is engineered , designed , and inspected in the USA .
Old 03-14-2003, 06:38 AM   #15
Mach 1
Registered Member

Made in China...well, that explains the price difference.

It was originally going to be sold and marketed as a MAC intake (not manufactured, just sold) but that fell through.

I have read in reputable magazines and other places that the quality was complete crap, thermostat housing leaks, poor finish, overall lack of quality, etc...

Most people that buy a product wont tell you its a piece of crap, even if it is.

Spend the coin on the edelbrock. You wont be disapointed. wait until summit has a sale, you can get a new one for $450.00
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 10:01 PM   #16
dgrobels
Registered Member

i have it and like it with no problems and no casting flash at all, i had to cut the bracing off the underside of the hood , above were the intake is, it was hiiting the hood as well, but i have a one inch spacer, no big deal and with over 180,000 miles my high mileage stocker is running low 13`s all day long with usual bolt ons with 410 gears.............

Last edited by dgrobels; 03-14-2003 at 10:35 PM..
dgrobels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 10:26 PM   #17
Technick
Registered Member

Sounds like there may be some inconsistancies in the casting process, AKA quality controll! This can easily happen on mass produced cast products. A mold only last so long before it de-grades and has to be re-placed. That is why some people have good luck with them and others find them of low quality. It ALWAYS come down to "you get what you pay for!"
Old 04-07-2003, 09:21 AM   #18
saleen243
Registered Member

Talking

If you want to read about the performance of the intake, go pull out your September 2002 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords. The numbers are right where they need to be to declare the intake a serious budget upgrade!!! I think your purchasing power will determine what intake you buy. I have tried several intakes and for the money you cannot go wrong with this purchase.
1989 Saleen Convertible #243
1965 Fastback - 331 Stroker/T-5 swap
saleen243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 06:35 PM   #19
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Question Bringing this subject back up.

Today I called these guys and the price is $375!!!!!!!!! Upper and lower intake. This is unbelievable. Made in China. Anywhere I can read about dyno test #s??? I don't like the sound of having to modify my hood though? Anymore info??
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 09:13 AM   #20
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

Quote:
Originally posted by Mach 1
Spend the coin on the edelbrock. You wont be disapointed. wait until summit has a sale, you can get a new one for $450.00
I think this is where the misconception about the Typhoons comes from. People think the Edelbrocks are perfectly cast, but really they are equally nasty in the ports...one of my friends has an RPM on his car and my Typhoon looks almost identical on the inside. If you want a quality finished intake, buy a TrickFlow...their runners are how they SHOULD look. That being said, the Typhoon is worth buying and looks phenomenal in the polished trim. I put about 15 hours into mine cleaning the runners up and it is very nice now. Where else can you find something that looks like this for the same money:

Mods Pics
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote