MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-08-2001, 05:45 PM   #1
86LX5liter
Registered Member

Question the unending tire debate

ok guys. I am looking for tires. I need a good daily driver street tire, that is good in the rain, and the best performance possible in the dry. I am not so much concerned with the best abrasction, like a
Nitto or Toyo, but in a tire that will last 30,000 or 40,000 and be good in all weather conditions. Here in NY the rain sucks, and the snow is a bear. We are getting out of snow season, so the snow traction isn't an issue. let me know what you guys run and how well they work for you.

------------------
Warmed over 302,
Edelbrock Carb, MSD, Accel, t-5 w/ frpp flywheel & clutch, Hurst shifter, traction bars, ds safety loop, subframes, 3.08 posi, shorties, H, and Flows. Same setup w/ auto netted a 12.54 @ 110.90
in a 300 lbs heavier car.
Can't wait till Spring for E-town.
1981 GT

86LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2001, 05:51 PM   #2
jimberg
Registered Member

I really like my Sumitomos. Check out tirerack.com. They really do well in the rain and are great on dry pavement. They're not so good on snow, though.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2001, 06:04 PM   #3
dinomite
The Dude

You can get tires that will be ok for rain and dry, but finding one that works well in snow too is pretty much impossible. Snow is completely different. In dry, you want as much on the ground a posssible (slicks), in rain, you just need a little bit of area for the water to go to (regualar street tire). For snow, you want lots of big grooves, think about snow chains.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2001, 07:06 PM   #4
DemonGT
Registered Member

i need new tires also..i want something that will last and is good on the street...i want something thats ok in rain but a little better on dry...would the bf goodrich radial T/A be good?

------------------
'91 GT,91K,T-5,air silencer removed,racing clutch(previous owner put in so dont know what kind),K&N air filter,Aiwa deck,power acoustic amp,2 12" pianeers,Mac long tubes,Cat-back,off road H,FMS 9mm wires

Future Mods:3.73's,Pro 5.0,Shifter knob,E303 cam,cobra intake,76mm MAF,70mm tb
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2001, 09:15 PM   #5
Mad Horse
Registered Member

I have spent the last month looking for a good street tire that is good on dry and wet roads. After spending what seems like the past 2 weeks at www.tirerack.com I've decided to go with the Firestone Firehawk SZ 50 EP. I didn't order them from tirerack because my home town tire dealership had them for a little less. They should be on my car by thursday so I'll get back on and let you know what I think of them.

------------------
88GT 5-speed
Mods: Cervinis Ram air hood 3.73 gears, King Cobra clutch, Pro 5.0, March alum. Pullies, DynoMax Cat-back, K&N, 9mm plug wires, PS91 coil, Accel Cap/Rotor, 190lph Fuel pump, 16" Ponies.
"Nip it in the Bud"
My Webpage
Mad Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2001, 10:11 PM   #6
1mintlx

Cool

I love my BF Goodrich Comp T/A's. They've taken a beating on dry pavement, and keep coming back for more. Personally, I've never tried taking my car out in the snow, cause I think it'd be suicide.

------------------
'90 LX 5.0; 12K original miles (no sh*&); 3.55 gears; pulleys; Edelbrock Performer Heads;
BBK shorties; MSD 6AL ignition system; Motorsport E303 cam; 75 MAF; 70 TB; Eibach spring kit;
Southside sub-connectors; K&N cone filter charger; Hurst shifter; fiberglass cowl hood; A/C-less;
rear seat-less; cat-less; Flomasters; Corbeau racing seats (fronts); 12.513 @ 108 mph
Old 04-09-2001, 01:05 AM   #7
84_GT350
Registered Member

I agree with Dinomite. Tgere are tires that will work good in rain and in dry weather, but forget about snow. I've got some Falkens that are great in dry weather and decent in the rain, but lick @ss in the snow.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 02:18 AM   #8
StreetStang37
Registered Member

I got some Dunlop SP5000's All Season Ultra-High Performance 245/50/16 ZRs and they seem to work great for me. Traction in the rain is good and in dry is great too, their side wall is just too soft, so the response isn't all there. People say they are scary when changing lanes but I have no trouble whatso ever. I think the Dunlop's are rated pretty good on tirerack.com, I don't remember. If your gonna drive in the snow eventually, then I'd suggest getting an All Season tire since you will drive through atleast two winters with them even if your not in snow season anymore.

------------------
1993 Mustang GT - March Ram Air & Pullies, K&N, C&L 73mm MAF, Super Competition Hooker Headers, 2 1/2 in. mandrel bent cat back, High Flow H-Pipe, Pro 5.0 Shifter, 16* Timing Advance
StreetStang37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 03:28 PM   #9
rtz
Registered Member

Get some "dual tread compound" Futura's. They hook up and they are about the cheapest tire you can find for the money.
http://www.pepboys.com/tires/peptire...supersportgls/
rtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 03:39 PM   #10
91LXConv
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Horse:
I have spent the last month looking for a good street tire that is good on dry and wet roads. After spending what seems like the past 2 weeks at www.tirerack.com I've decided to go with the Firestone Firehawk SZ 50 EP. I didn't order them from tirerack because my home town tire dealership had them for a little less. They should be on my car by thursday so I'll get back on and let you know what I think of them.

Good tire choice man! I've had the SZ 50 EP tires on my 91 for about 6 months now. Best tires I've had yet. You can really throw these things around a corner. Excellent wet traction too.

------------------
1991 LX 5.0 Convertible:
AOD w/ shift kit, Steeda 3-pc. chassis stiffening kit, 4-pt. AutoPower roll-bar, the K&N, MAC shorties and cat-backs, 3.73's.
91LXConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 04:01 PM   #11
lx mike
Undescribable

Another vote for the SZ-50's, i tried them on my last stang and when i am ready for tires thats what i will be putting on my 93-LX. they worked great in the dry road and pretty good in the wet weather and living in florida we do get a bit of rain here so i would recommend them to anyone that has to drive there stang in the rain.

------------------
93-LX: 5 Speed, Flow's with H-Pipe, 3.73's Sub's and K&N.
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 09:39 AM   #12
86LX5liter
Registered Member

I do not intend to get tires that work on dry, wet and snow. I need a dry and wet compound right now, I use my work van whenever it snows. An AWD Astro Van. Thing is decent in the snow. So i just need a summer tire. What kind of coin are those Firestone's? and were they ever part of that recall?

------------------
Warmed over 302,
Edelbrock Carb, MSD, Accel, t-5 w/ frpp flywheel & clutch, Hurst shifter, traction bars, ds safety loop, subframes, 3.08 posi, shorties, H, and Flows. Same setup w/ auto netted a 12.54 @ 110.90
in a 300 lbs heavier car.
Can't wait till Spring for E-town.
1981 GT

86LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 11:35 AM   #13
Mad Horse
Registered Member

No the Firehawk SZ 50 EP's were never a part of any recall. The recall was for SUV tires so you have nothing to worry about. The price I got on them was $145.00 each for 225/55/16. Hope this helps. Go to www.tirerack.com and take a look at them. They are rated the best tire in their category by customers.
Mad Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 12:52 PM   #14
Rocket 99GT
Registered Member

I go this tires in in December. They are great in the rain and snow, I do fine that they could do better in the dry but maybe I am the one that needs to change my driving style.
http://www.michelin-us.com/us/eng/ti...log/pxgtz4.htm

99GT…
rear sway bar (adjustable)
rear lower control arm
traction bars,
tokiko struts illumina 5 position,
tokiko shocks,
caster camber plates
racing lower springs
3:73
strut tower brace
underdrive pulleys
Michelin “pilot XGT-Z4. NOW I WILL ADD POWER.

Rocket 99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 03:52 PM   #15
jimberg
Registered Member

Update on Sumitomos. Apparently TireRack doesn't carry them any more because of their partnership with Goodyear. I guess I'm gonna have to try something else.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 04:00 PM   #16
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

For the price and quality I would go with the Futuras from Pepboys. They hook great on my buddies Z28

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, A9P Computer, Cobra Transmission, Extrude Ported and Polished Upper and ported Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Holley Fuel Regulator, March Underdrive Pulleys, Perma-Cool Fan, 3-Core Radiator, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 79mm Mass Air Unit, FlowMaster Exhaust w/BBK Offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 04:31 PM   #17
Mach 1
Registered Member

Avoid Futuras like the plaque. I had one come apart on me, the tread separated from the steel belts. What a cheap piece of crap tire. It caused sheetmetal damage to my car.

The best tire for the money (cheap) is the BFG Radial TA.
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote