MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-08-2002, 01:29 PM   #1
gtstang83
Registered Member

Default timing off or bad valve spring ?

i am not quite sure what the timing is set at right now, i plan on checking it this weekend. my question is.... if the timing is off, would that be enough to cause a tapping on only 1 side of the motor, or an i looking at possibly valve spring replacement time?
Old 03-08-2002, 02:51 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Re: timing off or bad valve spring ?

Quote:
Originally posted by gtstang83

...if the timing is off, would that be enough to cause a tapping on only 1 side of the motor, or an i looking at possibly valve spring replacement time?
It isn't very likely to be your timing that causes the tapping (although you should check it).
It could very well be a tired valve spring or a 'bad' lifter or just the usual 5.0 lifter noise that many have. I've had a slightly noticable lifter tap on one side from the day I drove my Mustang off the lot - 12 years and 115,000 miles ago. No big deal.

Check it out, pull the valve covers and do a visual inspection at least but you may just have a gummed up lifter. That can sometimes be cleaned up with solvent and some very frequent oil changes.

Good luck.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 04:55 PM   #3
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default Noisy Lifter

I know I used to pull the pushrods of the suspected cylinder and blow compressed air through the rod to clear it and re-install it if it isn't bent. It was fairly painless to do and often reduced or eliminated annoying valvetrain noise. I haven't done it yet with a 302 block.
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 05:09 PM   #4
gtstang83
Registered Member

ok we can rule out the timing being off....next is off come the valve cover for a look... sounds like it is coming from one of the back 2 cylinders on the passenger side. but with 145,00 miles and 19 yrs old, it wouldnt surprise me much to have a spring go bad.
Old 03-08-2002, 07:02 PM   #5
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Quote:
Originally posted by gtstang83

...with 145,000 miles and 19 yrs old, it wouldn't surprise me much to have a spring go bad.
Me either.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 09:01 AM   #6
Thad
Registered Member

I've been having the same problem but on the drivers side. i have trick flow heads and alot of people have stated they often have a ticking or tapping noise. Some say it's the valve guides, some say the lifters, and some say a worn cam, etc. I've already changed the lifters and adjusted the rockers 3 times, nothing. I'm on the path of eliminating what i can before breaking down and taking it to somebody. the springs were my next target. Let us know if the springs were the problem, because i've been having this problem for quite some time and need any help i can get!

thanks,
thad
90 LX 5.0 ,bored 302, MSD 6AL, Twisted Wedge TrickFlo HDs, World class T5, BBK fender cold air induct., 70mm TB,Edelbrock performer Intake, aluminum Drve shaft, 3.55 Gears, Long Tube Headers to Flowmasters.
Thad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 10:27 AM   #7
maks
Registered Member

As far as '83 stangs go my first suspicion would be the lifter because they're not roller.And as far as the roller motors go the rocker arm is my first guess,especially with tfs heads.The stock roller lifters are very good and the hardly ever give trouble.Anytime you use tfs heads you must check the rocker arm geometry.....
maks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 12:05 PM   #8
gtstang83
Registered Member

Default replacing the lifters

i am thinking that might be the way to go right now....
go and change the lifters to see if that is the problem (if i dont find a bad spring right off the bat when i remove the valve covers)only because i am looking to replace the heads and intake manifold anyway, so if it is a bad spring , it will not pay to fix it and then replace it with new heads soon after.

looking at going with gt-40's and edelbrock performer manifold as my upgrades.
Old 03-09-2002, 12:09 PM   #9
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default TFS head/valvetrain noise

I also have TFS heads (less than 3000 miles on complete motor)with bronze guides and TFS pushrods(req'd), 1.7 RR's and a B303 cam. They are noisy in general but I have checked everything from valve lash to spring tension and everything is 4.0. I have had several people tell me it's just more noisy by design. I also have a cowl hood with no soundproofing. So it is readily apparent.
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote