MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-17-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
jwboner
Registered Member

Default Upgrade to 3" exhaust worth it?

I've got a 347 ci with Trick Flow stage 3 cam and TF Track Heat heads with 10:1 comp ratio. And Accel DFI on top.
I had a custom exhaust fab'd up by a shop out of 2.5" from the Hooker Super Comp back that incorporates an H-pipe. Over time the lowest part has been flattened out some by low ground clearance.
I'm now thinking of replacing it with Pypes universal X-pipe with cutouts kit. But I don't know if I will see much advantage of using 3" pipe.
Has anybody switched from 2.5 to 3" and have any stories that they would like to share?

John
65 fastback 347 DFI injected w/vic jr, TFS heads, MSD, cable clutch TKO, 3.70 9", tc subframe conns, custom traction bars, griffen alum radiator, armored fuel cell, and torq thrust D's Retrofitted Prelude seats. Vintage Air underdash kit. Fiberglass here and there too
More on the way all the time.
jwboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Default Re: Upgrade to 3" exhaust worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwboner View Post
I've got a 347 ci with Trick Flow stage 3 cam and TF Track Heat heads with 10:1 comp ratio. And Accel DFI on top.
I had a custom exhaust fab'd up by a shop out of 2.5" from the Hooker Super Comp back that incorporates an H-pipe. Over time the lowest part has been flattened out some by low ground clearance.
I'm now thinking of replacing it with Pypes universal X-pipe with cutouts kit. But I don't know if I will see much advantage of using 3" pipe.
Has anybody switched from 2.5 to 3" and have any stories that they would like to share?

John
Nice set-up. I have ran 3 inch exhaust and it didnt run any better or worse than the 2 1/2 exhaust I had. My motor was a punk compared to yours, I would say your motor may benifit from 3 inch exhaust. i would also run 1 3/4 long tubes with it.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:55 AM   #3
jwboner
Registered Member

Thanks for the input Dark.
The 1 3/4 headers are in the future.
Another problem I will run into is the X-cage that connects the two sides of the subframe connectors doesn't allow for much room for the pipes. By looking it looks like 3" will fit but just barely.
I'm trying to decide whether the hassle is worth the gain.
65 fastback 347 DFI injected w/vic jr, TFS heads, MSD, cable clutch TKO, 3.70 9", tc subframe conns, custom traction bars, griffen alum radiator, armored fuel cell, and torq thrust D's Retrofitted Prelude seats. Vintage Air underdash kit. Fiberglass here and there too
More on the way all the time.
jwboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
Supersonic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwboner View Post
Thanks for the input Dark.
The 1 3/4 headers are in the future.
Another problem I will run into is the X-cage that connects the two sides of the subframe connectors doesn't allow for much room for the pipes. By looking it looks like 3" will fit but just barely.
I'm trying to decide whether the hassle is worth the gain.
You're also gonna lose ground clearence, If you want to run 3" under a ground clearence restricted car, I'd suggest some oval pipes from Spintech! Ron is a great guy to work with too.
Supersonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
USMC302
Registered Member

If your going to stay all motor, it's not worth the hassle IMO with your setup.