MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-29-2001, 04:42 PM   #1
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World
Question Installing A Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter

Ok, I just ordered my Steeda Tir-Ax shifter today, and have a few questions about installing it....

1)How long will it take?

2)How Hard Is It?(Will I need someone else's help?)

3)What tools do i need?

4)What other materials do i need???

Thanks For Your Time
Kris
1984 Bronco II, 36" Michelin Military Tires, 95 EFI 5.0, NP435 Tranny, NP208 Doubler, NP205 Transfer Case, Fill Size Solid Dana 44 Front End, WH Progressive Rate Rock Crawling Coils, Bronco 8.8 Rear, Skyjacker Softride Leafs, 5.13 Gears, Detroit Locker. Final Crawl Ratio Of 175:1

88 GT
Best 60ft. 2.181
Best ET 14.350
Best MPH 98.01
~WRECKED!!!!~
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 10:32 AM   #2
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Kris it is very easy...

First you will need I believe a 5/32" wrench to get the top plate off, which has the rubber seal around the shifter. It is a pain and tricky but with some patience it will not take long, there are 4 bolts, 2- towards the rear which are easy, and then 2- that are partially under the consol towards the radio.

Then you will need a 1/2" socket (Straight or swivel) a extension and a rachet. Take those 4 bolts off then tap on the shifter or use a small pry bar to pop it off the tranny. Then use a razor blade or scraper to remove all the old Permatex that is on the tranny(Make sure none falls in the tranny) then put a nice new bead of Permatex around the opening 1/8" Bead seems to work fine. Then just re-install the shifter with the 4- bolts and don't over torque them or you will crack the tranny. You may need to trim the rubber boot on the top plate to get it around the base of the Steeda, I had to for my Pro-5.0. Then adjust the shifter to make sure it goes into gear. You want the stop bolts to be about 1/8" away from the shifter while it is in gear so put it in 2nd and look at the bolt, then do the same thing in 3rd. Then re-install the top plate then slide the leather boot down the handle, snap it down and re-install the shifter handle.

This will be a mod you will really like it makes such a difference over that sloppy stock shifter. It may be a little noiser since it is so much more solid the valve train noise may be louder.

See Ya, Happy New Year,

Rick

Check out RNH Performance Performance Engines and Custom Fabrication.
From Mild to Wild we can build what you want, when you want it.

FOR SALE Stainless Steel Torque Box Supports
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 09:48 PM   #3
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

I used a tip that Car craft detailed on their 86. Get a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel, and cut away the console plastic that is blocking the two forward bolts that hold down the rubber boot. Obviously be carefull to avoid cutting any plastic that holds the leather boot in place. That trick saved a bunch of time.

Also be carefull with the boot, it's a pain to get a new one from ford, and if it gets torn up expect a big draft and tons of road noise

93 P-71 Vic interceptor Backup car now

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

74 Chevy Laguna type S-3 454 under construction
Currently apart undergoing bodywork.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote