MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-08-2001, 07:13 PM   #1
ed1371
Registered Member

Question Used Cam?

Friend of mine offered me his E303 for 30 bucks. He says he hardly put any miles on it but I remember hearing that cams shouldn't be installed if they are used. He is going to bring it in to work tommorrow. What should I look out for?
ed1371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 08:19 PM   #2
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

Used roller cams are usually fine as long as the bearing surfaces aren't worn bad. Look at the bearing surfaces and the lobes to see if there is any evidence of bad wear. I would go ahead and get new lifters while you've got the engine apart. If you have a micrometer, I'd measure the bearing surfaces and see if they are worn down, (I'm not sure what the spec is.) Most likely it will run fine, my cam is used and had around 60k on it when pulled. My engine has 120k on it so the cam fit nice!!! :-) I'd say 30 bucks is not bad, buy that puppy!! And if anybody says anything about southern engineering in this case, tell them they can laugh all they want while they spend $200 on a new cam while you spend $30 on a nice used one. It will work fine. Roller cams can be reused. Have fun with it too!

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma

1988 Merc Cougar 5.0 HO, P&Ped heads, 2.25" custom mandrel bent dual pipes, T5 five speed tranny
15.43 @ 91.08mph (not shabby for a 3600 pound car)
60' 2.453 Street tires suck!!!

QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2001, 12:15 PM   #3
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

its ok ..i bought a couple used cams..infact we usuallly got a few extra ones sitting around we swap when we have nothing to do to see what cam is the best for our cars..

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote