MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-17-2002, 05:45 PM   #1
MattwantsSpeed
Registered Member

Default Quick Elec. fan question

Trying to figure out which was the fan is sopposed to be moving the air. With it in place between the rad. and the engine, is the air sopposed to be moving toward the radiator or moving toward the engine?

Best to date: 14.331@97.46mph with 14*/stock fan/short belt and a 2.222 60' in 90 degree weather

Waiting to put on Off road H and 1 5/8 headers

Rice Hater's Club #36
MattwantsSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 06:26 PM   #2
lx5091
Registered Member

toward the engine. it is supposed to aid in pulling air through the radiator.

'97 Saturn SL1--Soon to be ditched for a Ford!
lx5091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 02:38 AM   #3
Bad89stang
Registered Member

You have a puller fan. It is supposed to pull air from outside and across the radiator as mentioned earlier. If you have one mounted on the front, then you have a pusher. Or you could just flip the wires around and fugg up everything.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:00 AM   #4
PKRWUD

The air should always go from in front of the radiator, through it, and towards the engine, regardless of what fan you have.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 03:33 PM   #5
MattwantsSpeed
Registered Member

maybe someone can answer me one more question about it....I'm not sure on how to wire it. I'm going to do it simple and hook it to a switch I turn on and off when it gets to the temp I want. I know to ground one wire. THEN I want to run the other wire to the bettery and then to the switch in the car. I'm sure I'm gonna need a fuse or a relay but I'm not sure how big or if it should in between the battery and switch or the fan and battery. I hope this is understandable. Thanx guys

Matt

Best to date: 14.331@97.46mph with 14*/stock fan/short belt and a 2.222 60' in 90 degree weather

Waiting to put on Off road H and 1 5/8 headers

Rice Hater's Club #36
MattwantsSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 05:52 PM   #6
zepherman
Registered Member

You should wire it up to a relay. The amperage that will be running through the circuit is more than most of the automotive switches you will find at most parts stores can handle. The switches will burn up unless you use a relay or a heavy duty switch. I have my fan wired direct to the battery like your talking about with a somewhat heavy duty switch, and i can't lave the fan on for very long or the metal switch starts to get hot. Thebes thing to do is to run it through a relay. I will wire mine up to one as soon as i get the time to do it.
90 GT 25th Anni. Did the AOD to T-5 swap, SPEC clutch, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, BBK 2½ inch off-road H pipe, Flows, BBK 70mm TB/EGR, Ford Racing aluminim driveshaft, 3.55's, welded subframes, Ram Air, 3 core radiator, NOS dry kit 75 shot, and a K&N filter.

12.9 @ 108
zepherman is offline   Reply With Quote