MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-19-2001, 11:05 PM   #1
K.C. 5.0
Registered Member

Post vacuum line elimination

I was woundering if you could eliminate any of the vacuum lines that go to the intake? Some how I split one tonight and I'm pretty sure it goes to my brakes but I haven't noticed anything wrong. Has anyone plugged up any of there vacuum lines?

------------------
95gt 80k, MSD 6AL, MSD coil, pulleys, fpr, cold air kit, off road h-pipe, flowmasters, 3.73, 9mm wires, mega bite jr lowers, kennybrown subframe connectors, edelbrock performer intake, 70mm TB, 73mm C&L, 24lb injectors Aluminum Driveshaft, Tri-Ax shifter.
K.C. 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 08:20 AM   #2
jerryIII

Cool

I have two vacuum lines on my motor.. one for the vac advance and one for the break booster, all the others were pollution control crap...

------------------
Black,84 GT,ground effects,shorty headers, 'open' dual exh.,302 HO(no pollution control crap)bored .060,T5,89 ported heads,edelbrock Performer manifold, Edelbrock 2122 cam,600 Holley, high volume oil pump...

Some day (3:73 gears & N2O)!!!

will this ever end????
Old 08-20-2001, 01:04 PM   #3
K.C. 5.0
Registered Member

I have a 95 gt. I bet I could eliminate a bunch of that crap. Has anyone else done this on a newer car. I'd think it would all be about the same.

------------------
95gt 80k, MSD 6AL, MSD coil, pulleys, fpr, cold air kit, off road h-pipe, flowmasters, 3.73, 9mm wires, mega bite jr lowers, kennybrown subframe connectors, edelbrock performer intake, 70mm TB, 73mm C&L, 24lb injectors Aluminum Driveshaft, Tri-Ax shifter.
Old 08-22-2001, 01:18 AM   #4
PKRWUD

My only question is: why? vacuum is free, and doesn't cost you any horsepower. In fact, it comes in pretty handy. Most HVAC controls are via vacuum. Do as you wish, it's your car. But why? Because you don't understand it? Buy a book.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 02:10 AM   #5
91evilstang
Registered Member

Red face

Mabie its not because they dont under stand it mabie its because they dont like oil fumes and potentaly raw oil carboning up their thousands of dollars worth of heads and intakes.I know i dont,I want 3 vacuum lines one for fuel pressure reg,one for brake booster and one for the climate controls.The rest is BS.

------------------
91GT Flowmaster 2 chambers,off road H pipe,mac equalength headers,F303 cam,high lift valve springs ,svo 1.6 roller rockers,19*timing,410's,BBK cold air kit,hurst shifter, Pullys,World class T5 MSD 6al box. Ran 13.5@101 with stock headers and air box.
91evilstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 02:30 AM   #6
K.C. 5.0
Registered Member

My reason for asking the question was why have extra hoses that are not doing anything to help you either. With all the wiring and hoses that are going everywhere; Why not eliminate as much of the excess crap as possible. It will make your engine bay look cleaner and it will cut down on time when your disconnecting and connecting things. I guess I want the best of both worlds. I want to get rid of everything I don't need.
As far as hvac controls what does vacuum do for those? And as far as buying a book to learn about it I will if I have to but I thought that was the point of these forums was to help each other out. So everyone doesn't have to go out and buy the book.

------------------
Old 08-22-2001, 02:41 AM   #7
WADS56
gear banger

I think what PKRWUD means by "hvac" is the heating and the air cond controls are controled by vacuum.
You are right though, this is what the forums are for so post away. No one knows everything.
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 02:43 AM   #8
K.C. 5.0
Registered Member

I know which one is the brake booster and fuel pressure, but which one is climite control? Where does it originate?

------------------
Old 08-22-2001, 12:40 PM   #9
jerryIII

Wink

I agree, an engine compartment is a clutered mess, and anything that can be removed to make it look better is a plus....

the vac. line for your heater controls should go through the firewall in that general area....don't know what else inside the car is controlled by vacuum...

my car does'nt have a heater, so even if vacuum was needed, too bad...

I would just pick lines and follow them, cap the ends as you go and in no time it'll be done..

------------------
Black,84 GT,ground effects,shorty headers, 'open' dual exh.,302 HO(no pollution control crap)bored .060,T5,89 ported heads,edelbrock Performer manifold, Edelbrock 2122 cam,600 Holley, high volume oil pump...

Some day (3:73 gears & N2O)!!!

will this ever end????
Old 08-22-2001, 04:52 PM   #10
ALS85GT
Registered Member

I also agree about not having a cluttered engine bay. The simpler the better. That's one reason I got rid of fuel injection(CFI). I know it's more tunable and fuel efficient but it's a mess of lines and wires. Not to mention all the sensors. The A/C system also uses vacuum. My 2 cents...
ALS85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 05:07 PM   #11
jimberg
Registered Member

Most vacuum lines are tucked behind or under the intake, so I can't see how they can be considered clutter. If you think they're ugly, try some cool covers for them or something.

To answer the original question, I would say that the line going to the tree on the firewall is necessary. That goes to your HVAC system and brakes.

Another one that is necessary is the one that goes from the intake to the fuel pressure regulator.

If you've eliminated the EGR and air pump, you don't need the line going to that tree that sits to the passenger side of the engine.

I think PCV is important, so the line to the PCV valve should stay (It's under the intake anyway) and the one from the throttle body to valve cover should stay.

If you have an evaporative emissions canister, you should probably keep that line so that the canister doesn't get filled. If you don't have it, you'll think you have a fuel leak all the time.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 08:55 PM   #12
stanglx347

Smile

Got rid of all my vacuum lines. Then again I have manual brakes and don't have a Fuel Regulator that connects to a Vacuum type system.

Old 08-22-2001, 08:59 PM   #13
stanglx347

Thumbs up

And just let me add to my last post, manual brakes have gotten a bad rap. I love mine and the car stops just fine.

The underhood area looks so SWEEEEET without that big-fat-ugly-booster taking up so much room.
Old 08-30-2001, 04:09 PM   #14
PKRWUD

Quote:
And as far as buying a book to learn about it I will if I have to but I thought that was the point of these forums was to help each other out. So everyone doesn't have to go out and buy the book.

Let me clarify that. These forums are invaluable. They are an excellent source of information. However, as someone else mentioned, no one knows everything. I have seen several pieces of information posted here that are accepted by many, yet are completely false (ie: TPS settings and RTV use on head bolts), and that is why I recommend buying a book. It's alot cheaper to buy a book and use it along with the advice you receive here than it is to rebuild or replace engine components because of some bad advice.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
Old 08-30-2001, 05:06 PM   #15
jimberg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD:
I have seen several pieces of information posted here that are accepted by many, yet are completely false
Amen to that Chris. The beauty of the Internet is that there are tons of valuable information out there. The drawback is that you have to be able to filter the good information from the bad.

That's one of the reasons why I have the annoying habit of discussing things in great detail. I think it's a big help to to understand the "why" behind suggestions. The more information you have at your disposal, the better the decisions you make.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 08:29 PM   #16
PKRWUD

Jim, I personally am grateful for your detailed explanations. They have helped me to put some things into a better perspective. I just hope that more people read them instead of searching for the "quick fix".

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet