MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-06-2002, 10:30 PM   #1
rbatson

Question Valve covers

I need to replace my valve covers. They need to clear 1.6 rockers. I had the cobra alum. crinkle cuts and the mechanic told me they wouldn't clear the rockers because of the oil baffles so I got the hartman's(err.. comp) covers, then I had oil dripping from my breather. I then bought some fms covers but I can't get a breather on them because of the cobra intake so the covers leak. I need a good cover that can let the engine breath and look good. I was even considering a bigger intake spacer(requires new hood) or even a box intake so I can use the ones I have... any suggestions?? What do you guys use? Pics would be nice too

Thanks
Old 06-07-2002, 01:30 AM   #2
Bad89stang
Registered Member

You can run a 3/8" spacer and still clear the stock hood. You should be able to modify the baffle to work with roller rockers on most Ford covers. I would personally go with the Trick flow covers.

Are you selling the FMS covers?
Old 06-07-2002, 10:41 AM   #3
RPM427
Registered Member

Ford racing performance parts claim if you remove the oil baffle on the stock covers, they will clear the 1.6 bold down style.

If you are using stud mount, they will hit the adjusting nut at the top. I personaly like the comp cams polymer covers. They will clear it and the intake. They only wiegh 3/4lbs and are very easy to modify if needed.

-1994 Ranger w/ 427cid windsor (daily beater)
check it out!

Last edited by RPM427; 06-07-2002 at 11:37 AM..
RPM427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 10:51 AM   #4
DRASTiK
Registered Member

my stockers clear the 1.6 RR's with the baffles removed. I also have a set of "Powered by Ford" valve covers from an 85 stang. The baffles in them also clear the RR's but by looking at them I don't know if they were bent up or just came that way. I can't use them, because of the breather issues with the upper intake, so I just use my stockers.

RHC member #75

My stang is FOR SALE!!
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 04:59 PM   #5
Hissing Cobra
Registered Member

The Powered by Ford covers by Ford will work with the baffles removed (as DRASTiK has stated), however, the oil will still drip out of the breather, all over the valve cover. To solve this, you can mount a tube atop the valve cover and put a breather on top of it (effectively keeping the oil from shooting straight into the breather)! An even better way to do it, is to buy a breather with a hole in the top of it and run a hose from the base of the air cleaner right into the top of the breather (which is now sitting atop the tube). That way there's fresh, CLEAN, air coming down the hose, through the breather and into the engine. Good luck!
Hissing Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 05:08 PM   #6
RPM427
Registered Member

There are also breather stands that have internal baffles you can buy.

check it out!
Old 06-07-2002, 07:22 PM   #7
gtsr515
Registered Member

Whoa!!!!!!!! open breathers are a NO NO with mass air, lets in unmetered air, causes driveability problems.
Old 06-07-2002, 09:46 PM   #8
RPM427
Registered Member

then what do you suggest for aftermarket valve covers? just a cap to refill the oil?

check it out!
Old 06-10-2002, 11:56 PM   #9
rbatson

Hey guys, the first mechanic I had didn't know squat and I ended up having to get another mechanic. I already swapped out covers at that time. I have a problem with pressure building up and either blowing oil out or valve cover gaskets. I have to have the baffles, no doubt about that. I have an 1/2" intake spacer. I'm looking for ideas to combat this problem, kinda like what Hissing Cover was saying but those internal baffles sound good too. I'm just looking for ideas and I want something that looks halfway decent.

I never heard not to use breathers on maf cars, where did you hear that? Not flaming, I'm really curious. Right now I have the valve cover holes capped and the gasket is leaking like crazy.

I just can't stand pulling up to a light and smoke coming from under the hood.

Bad89stang, I will sell these covers when I replace them. If you'd like I will take a pic and send it to you, they may not be the ones you are thinking about. I also have the Comp Cams covers over at the mechanics house, if they are still laying around I'll sell those as well. I think I have a strut tower brace that is new in the box that I will sell, if I can find it.