MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-12-2002, 01:16 PM   #1
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

Post Valve Covers

Hey guys, Im looking to get some new valve covers to put on when i swap my heads and intake. Ive donr a few searches and found that there have been some problems with certain valve covers clearinf the intake. I am going to be running a corba intake on top of gt40 irons. Can tall valve covers fit underneath the intake? I also have 1.6 rr's. I like the fms aluminum covers with the ford motorsports logo on them in black writing. I f you guys could give me some info on what ones will and wont work I would appreciate it. I dont want to run into problems later on. Thanks Alot - John
Old 10-12-2002, 10:19 PM   #2
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Default Valve covers

I you are talking about the 3 3/4" covers then you are going to need a spacer.
Old 10-13-2002, 10:11 AM   #3
srv1
Get down.....

Default Re: Valve Covers

Quote:
Originally posted by NotchJohnson
Hey guys, Im looking to get some new valve covers to put on when i swap my heads and intake. Ive donr a few searches and found that there have been some problems with certain valve covers clearinf the intake. I am going to be running a corba intake on top of gt40 irons. Can tall valve covers fit underneath the intake? I also have 1.6 rr's. I like the fms aluminum covers with the ford motorsports logo on them in black writing. I f you guys could give me some info on what ones will and wont work I would appreciate it. I dont want to run into problems later on. Thanks Alot - John
i just redid my heads. check out my sig. i bought a set of Trick Flow valve covers from my buddy for $50 to clear my 1.7's. these are really tall! i researched also about the FRPP valve covers and most of them said they will not clear the RR's. Only the tall ones of FRPP would. What i had to do is use a 1/2" and a 3/4" phenolic spacer to clear the throttle linkage and had to repostion my vacuum for my PCV. i used a brass plug. then i had to modify the thottle bracket to clear the tall valve covers. so all in all you got to find valve covers that work with the 1.7's and also geet a phenolic spacer to clear what i just mentioned.

i have a friend who is running 1.7's on FRPP valve covers and they are not the tall ones either. some say they wont fit some say they will.
Old 10-13-2002, 10:27 AM   #4
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Default ...

http://www.mustangworks.com/articles...StandTall.html
Old 10-13-2002, 11:37 AM   #5
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

Damn, are there any valve covers that will fit over 1.6 rockers that wont require a new hood? Thanks for the info guys, John
Old 10-13-2002, 05:01 PM   #6
srv1
Get down.....

Quote:
Originally posted by NotchJohnson
Damn, are there any valve covers that will fit over 1.6 rockers that wont require a new hood? Thanks for the info guys, John
i am running 7/8" inch spacer without any problems with hood clearnance. But i am using the stock intake. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Bad89, i wish i found that before i did mine! i didnt even know that exsisted on this site! i better wake up!
Old 10-13-2002, 06:45 PM   #7
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

Thanks srv, does anyone know if the cobra sits higher than the stock intake? What about the ford racing covers they have in summit, the ones for the 86-93 5.0l efi? Do these require additional clearance, and do they clear the 1.6 rockers? Thanks - John
Old 10-15-2002, 02:23 AM   #8
Drew Sommer
Registered Member

Default Valve covers

I've got a Cobra intake (no spacer), stock cast heads w/FRPP 1.6 rockers and went with the Moroso tall valve cover. They're chrome, cool, and cheap!
'92 GT w/Cobra intake, 24# injectors, ported heads, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF, cold air kit, 1.6 rollers, B-cam, underdrive pulleys, long-tubes, H-pipe, upgraded radiator, Weiand waterpump, 3.55 gears, short throw shifter.
Drew Sommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 09:30 AM   #9
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

Thanks alot for the info Drew, sounds good. John
Old 10-15-2002, 09:33 AM   #10
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

3 coolest valve covers out there IMO

comp cams plastic ones
Ford racing(black with red writing)
DOWNS FORD

You might want to hold on..i saw this on a cartoon once
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 11:18 AM   #11
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

will the downs covers clear on mt application without having to get a new hood?
Old 10-15-2002, 11:44 AM   #12
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I have a set of Ford Racing tall aluminum covers. I had to use a 1" spacer on my GT-40 intake to get it to clear them, and a cowl hood was definately needed. Also, Ford doesn't make the Ford Motorsport stuff any more. It's now Ford Racing. And since they switched the name they put on the cover they started opening up the oil fill/PCV holes at the factory and the holes are opened on the wrong ends of the valve covers for Mustang 5.0's!!! On top of all that, they are MADE IN TAIWAN!!!
Lesson learned.

Drew Sommer - did those Moroso valve covers say where they were made? They look like smooth versions of the Ford Racing valve covers. And were the oil fill locations opened up already?
Project: 1988 Coupe - EFI 5.8L Twin Turbo with Victor intake, Canfield heads, F303 cam, March aluminum underdrive pulleys, TKO (or T56 if funds permit), PBR twin piston calipers and 13" rotors up front, 94 Cobra rear calipers and 12" rotors on the rear, 3.73's, Griggs K-member, tubular front control arms, torque arm and panhard bar, polished 99 Cobra wheels.

"The GR-40 kit installation is now complete, and the humble Fox-chassis car will now out-corner and out-stop a ZR-1 or a Viper, and support massive horsepower additions with perfect balance."
Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 12:10 PM   #13
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

Are you talking about the 6 different covers they have in summit, yeah they are ford racing, they have the cobra one, the mustang logo one, ect. Thats ridiculous, so they wont even work on a 5.0?
Old 10-15-2002, 12:19 PM   #14
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I'm talking about these valve covers...

Notice where the holes are on these valve covers. If you don't mind modifying your throttle cable bracket, and trying to fill your oil with a throttle cable, throttle body, and countless other things in your way it's not too bad. And even with a 1" spacer there's barely enough room on the driver side cover to install a PCV vale just for hole plugging purposes, so you can't fit a valve cover breather on the driver side.
Project: 1988 Coupe - EFI 5.8L Twin Turbo with Victor intake, Canfield heads, F303 cam, March aluminum underdrive pulleys, TKO (or T56 if funds permit), PBR twin piston calipers and 13" rotors up front, 94 Cobra rear calipers and 12" rotors on the rear, 3.73's, Griggs K-member, tubular front control arms, torque arm and panhard bar, polished 99 Cobra wheels.

"The GR-40 kit installation is now complete, and the humble Fox-chassis car will now out-corner and out-stop a ZR-1 or a Viper, and support massive horsepower additions with perfect balance."
Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241

Last edited by 2FastLX; 10-15-2002 at 12:32 PM..
Old 10-15-2002, 05:30 PM   #15
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

Damn, those are badass covers, too bad they f'ed em up. I was talking about the ones they have in summit. The covers are sort of "finned" and come in either black or polished. They have 3 models I believe. the cobra logo, mustang logo, and ford motorsport or ford racing logo. They claim to be for 86-93 5.0 efi mustangs. Are you familiar with these? - John
Old 10-16-2002, 04:30 AM   #16
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

If they say they are for EFI then the oil fill hole should be in the right place. But they don't come with the spout extension so it may be a bit harder to fill the oil. I think Summit also sells the add on fill spout as well.

Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
Old 10-16-2002, 12:41 PM   #17
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

Thanks 2Fastlx, do you know anything about the Comp Polymers covers, a buddy of mine had them on his stock gt and I doubt he had a spacer in there. Will they clear the 1.6 rockers? Thanks, John
Old 10-16-2002, 01:37 PM   #18
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Yes they do. Rick 91Gt had some red Comp Polymer covers on his ride for awhile I believe. You might give him a shout and see if he wants to sell them because he's not using them now. He's a member here.

Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
Old 10-16-2002, 02:00 PM   #19
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

Thanks Man, Appreciate it. - John
Old 10-17-2002, 09:19 AM   #20
drudis

I dont believe the FRPP tall valvecovers will clear the intake...
I called TFS and spent the $100 and got their "short-er" valvecovers:
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: