MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Valve Covers (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=30020)

NotchJohnson 10-12-2002 01:16 PM

Valve Covers

Hey guys, Im looking to get some new valve covers to put on when i swap my heads and intake. Ive donr a few searches and found that there have been some problems with certain valve covers clearinf the intake. I am going to be running a corba intake on top of gt40 irons. Can tall valve covers fit underneath the intake? I also have 1.6 rr's. I like the fms aluminum covers with the ford motorsports logo on them in black writing. I f you guys could give me some info on what ones will and wont work I would appreciate it. I dont want to run into problems later on. Thanks Alot - John

Bad89stang 10-12-2002 10:19 PM

Valve covers

I you are talking about the 3 3/4" covers then you are going to need a spacer.

srv1 10-13-2002 10:11 AM

Re: Valve Covers

Quote:

Originally posted by NotchJohnson
Hey guys, Im looking to get some new valve covers to put on when i swap my heads and intake. Ive donr a few searches and found that there have been some problems with certain valve covers clearinf the intake. I am going to be running a corba intake on top of gt40 irons. Can tall valve covers fit underneath the intake? I also have 1.6 rr's. I like the fms aluminum covers with the ford motorsports logo on them in black writing. I f you guys could give me some info on what ones will and wont work I would appreciate it. I dont want to run into problems later on. Thanks Alot - John
i just redid my heads. check out my sig. i bought a set of Trick Flow valve covers from my buddy for $50 to clear my 1.7's. these are really tall! i researched also about the FRPP valve covers and most of them said they will not clear the RR's. Only the tall ones of FRPP would. What i had to do is use a 1/2" and a 3/4" phenolic spacer to clear the throttle linkage and had to repostion my vacuum for my PCV. i used a brass plug. then i had to modify the thottle bracket to clear the tall valve covers. so all in all you got to find valve covers that work with the 1.7's and also geet a phenolic spacer to clear what i just mentioned.

i have a friend who is running 1.7's on FRPP valve covers and they are not the tall ones either. some say they wont fit some say they will.

Bad89stang 10-13-2002 10:27 AM

http://www.mustangworks.com/articles...StandTall.html

NotchJohnson 10-13-2002 11:37 AM

Damn, are there any valve covers that will fit over 1.6 rockers that wont require a new hood? Thanks for the info guys, John

srv1 10-13-2002 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by NotchJohnson
Damn, are there any valve covers that will fit over 1.6 rockers that wont require a new hood? Thanks for the info guys, John
i am running 7/8" inch spacer without any problems with hood clearnance. But i am using the stock intake. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Bad89, i wish i found that before i did mine! i didnt even know that exsisted on this site! i better wake up!:eek:

NotchJohnson 10-13-2002 06:45 PM

Thanks srv, does anyone know if the cobra sits higher than the stock intake? What about the ford racing covers they have in summit, the ones for the 86-93 5.0l efi? Do these require additional clearance, and do they clear the 1.6 rockers? Thanks - John

Drew Sommer 10-15-2002 02:23 AM

Valve covers

I've got a Cobra intake (no spacer), stock cast heads w/FRPP 1.6 rockers and went with the Moroso tall valve cover. They're chrome, cool, and cheap!

NotchJohnson 10-15-2002 09:30 AM

Thanks alot for the info Drew, sounds good. John

LX XLR8R 10-15-2002 09:33 AM

3 coolest valve covers out there IMO

comp cams plastic ones
Ford racing(black with red writing)
DOWNS FORD

NotchJohnson 10-15-2002 11:18 AM

will the downs covers clear on mt application without having to get a new hood?

2FastLX 10-15-2002 11:44 AM

I have a set of Ford Racing tall aluminum covers. I had to use a 1" spacer on my GT-40 intake to get it to clear them, and a cowl hood was definately needed. Also, Ford doesn't make the Ford Motorsport stuff any more. It's now Ford Racing. And since they switched the name they put on the cover they started opening up the oil fill/PCV holes at the factory and the holes are opened on the wrong ends of the valve covers for Mustang 5.0's!!! On top of all that, they are MADE IN TAIWAN!!!
Lesson learned.

Drew Sommer - did those Moroso valve covers say where they were made? They look like smooth versions of the Ford Racing valve covers. And were the oil fill locations opened up already?

NotchJohnson 10-15-2002 12:10 PM

Are you talking about the 6 different covers they have in summit, yeah they are ford racing, they have the cobra one, the mustang logo one, ect. Thats ridiculous, so they wont even work on a 5.0?

2FastLX 10-15-2002 12:19 PM

I'm talking about these valve covers...
http://store.summitracing.com/global...6582-e302p.jpg

Notice where the holes are on these valve covers. If you don't mind modifying your throttle cable bracket, and trying to fill your oil with a throttle cable, throttle body, and countless other things in your way it's not too bad. And even with a 1" spacer there's barely enough room on the driver side cover to install a PCV vale just for hole plugging purposes, so you can't fit a valve cover breather on the driver side.

NotchJohnson 10-15-2002 05:30 PM

Damn, those are badass covers, too bad they f'ed em up. I was talking about the ones they have in summit. The covers are sort of "finned" and come in either black or polished. They have 3 models I believe. the cobra logo, mustang logo, and ford motorsport or ford racing logo. They claim to be for 86-93 5.0 efi mustangs. Are you familiar with these? - John

2FastLX 10-16-2002 04:30 AM

If they say they are for EFI then the oil fill hole should be in the right place. But they don't come with the spout extension so it may be a bit harder to fill the oil. I think Summit also sells the add on fill spout as well.

NotchJohnson 10-16-2002 12:41 PM

Thanks 2Fastlx, do you know anything about the Comp Polymers covers, a buddy of mine had them on his stock gt and I doubt he had a spacer in there. Will they clear the 1.6 rockers? Thanks, John

2FastLX 10-16-2002 01:37 PM

Yes they do. Rick 91Gt had some red Comp Polymer covers on his ride for awhile I believe. You might give him a shout and see if he wants to sell them because he's not using them now. He's a member here.

NotchJohnson 10-16-2002 02:00 PM

Thanks Man, Appreciate it. - John

drudis 10-17-2002 09:19 AM

I dont believe the FRPP tall valvecovers will clear the intake...
I called TFS and spent the $100 and got their "short-er" valvecovers:
http://www.dariusrudis.com/engine.jpg