MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-21-2004, 10:41 PM   #1
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

Default vert top replacement

I called a company to have it done and they want 600, So im wondering if anyone has done it themselves and if so how hard is it to replace. On a sclae from 1 to 10. Is this something someone with allot of automotive knowledge can do? i know id have to get the window glued in by a shop. thanks
'95 GT convert. K&N, C&L mass air meter, Performance distributors sreamin demon coil, dyna mod, live wires, king cobra clutch, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, UPR billet adjustable shift handle, Crane Cams Fireball HI-6 box,underdrive pullies, 255lph fuel pump, UPr short throw shifter, caster camber plates, 03 cobra lower A arms, bullit suspension, cobra front brakes
Lethal5Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 11:54 PM   #2
aar0s
Registered Member

a few years ago one of the mustang mags did an artical about changing your top and said that a pro should do it. 600 sounds kinda cheep, look in to the quality of the the top and rear glass. the cheepest i could find was 800 with the top rear glass and pads. just remember that it cost the same to install a P.O.S. top as it does to install a good one.
aar0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 08:22 AM   #3
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

I replaced the top on a '72 LTD a few years back. Probably very similar to a Mustang. It's a lot of work, and can be done if you have reasonable mechanical skills and follow the instructions.

If you have the money, I would take it to a shop, cause it's very time consuming the first time.
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 09:29 AM   #4
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default vert top replacement

The only thing I can add is that several special tools are virtually required for decent top installation.
If you know some guys at a shop, maybe you can arrange to borrow some tools over a weekend.
If you want to know exactly what I am talking about, I can tell you what the Ford Repair Manual calls for with part numbers for the tools.
I don't think they are overly expensive.
I will second what has been already said in that this is one thing you don't want to have less than perfect.
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 02:21 PM   #5
RBatson
Registered Member

That is incredibly cheap! Is that just labor? If not then I'd ask them how much is the labor and if they guarantee thier work. If so then I'd order a good 10 yr top and have them install it. I paid over $800, if I remember correctly, about err.. 6-8 yrs ago. That was getting a deal from them because they were a customer of mine too. Most places wanted over $1200. I'd definitely make sure a good top was being installed.
RBatson is offline   Reply With Quote