MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-17-2001, 10:08 PM   #1
skiwesser
Registered Member

Thumbs down Vibration in shifter

Hey guys, I'm getting a pretty severe vibration through my shifter at speeds above 65-70 MPH or so.I have a five speed w/3.73's.Seems like I read here before to rotate the driveshaft 180 degrees.Is that right? Seems to me it would vibrate at high RPM's in every gear?
I would appriciate any advice.
I do not recall this vibration before the gear change, but it may have been there.
Seems I drive it harder now!!

------------------
88 GT subs,pullies,1 1/2 shorties,F.M.,3.73's,PRO 5.0 shifter,140,000 miles 8.881@78.09
Mcreary drag radials
skiwesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2001, 06:43 AM   #2
egiap's 5.0
Registered Member

The drive shaft and companion flange are a balanced unit. If you didn't mark location of two flanges at rear end then you can either be right or 180 degrees off. Sounds like the simplest fix so go for it.

------------------
Independent Amsoil dealer. For information about amsoil synthetic oil and lubes leave me a message. Ask about preffered customer program and buy at dealer cost.
egiap's 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2001, 07:18 AM   #3
PKRWUD

Quote:
Seems to me it would vibrate at high RPM's in every gear?

No, because the driveshaft's speed is proportional to the rear wheel speed (and thus vehicle speed), not the engine speed. The fact that it only does it at high speeds (mph) tells you it's not engine related. Try rotating the driveshaft. If that doesn't solve it, have your rear wheels balanced.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote