MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-22-2002, 02:21 AM   #1
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Default Will this Taurus fan work?

I have an '89 coupe with a Griffin 2 row aluminum radiator. Will this fan work? It is from a '94 Taurus. I don't know what engine it had. I am not worried about the mounting procedure, just the fan capabilities. Is this from a four cylinder?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg i-1.jpg (28.0 KB, 37 views)
Old 08-22-2002, 02:43 AM   #2
PKRWUD

If it's got a brown/orange wire, a black wire, and a dark blue wire coming off of it, you're fine, but you need to understand that it's a two speed fan. How are you planning on wiring it in?
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 02:58 AM   #3
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Default I'm way ahead of you PKRWUD

I have already done a search on this topic to find the right way to wire it up. I copied one of your replies into my "Mustang tech" folders. Now I don't have to ask anyone. I was just wondering if this is a good fan for my 5.0. I read somewhere that there are several Taurus fans? The guy selling it is going to include the plug with a few feet of wire still attached, but the pic does not show it. Thanks for your help as always.
Old 08-22-2002, 03:00 AM   #4
PKRWUD

There are several, but you should be okay with that one, as long as you hook it up right.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 03:08 AM   #5
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Default Thanks

10-4... out
Old 08-22-2002, 02:25 PM   #6
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

Just so you know there was a recall on those fans. The bearings have a tendancy of locking up the motor causes a huge voltage drain and possibly a fire. The ford dealer put in a circuit breaker to prevent this. For some reason the recall is not listed on the RECALLS section on this site. It applied to all front wheel drive taurus and other ford FWD and mustangs. Its a good fan though, cools quickly and doesnt take to much amperage.
'95 GT convert. K&N, C&L mass air meter, Performance distributors sreamin demon coil, dyna mod, live wires, king cobra clutch, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, UPR billet adjustable shift handle, Crane Cams Fireball HI-6 box,underdrive pullies, 255lph fuel pump, UPr short throw shifter, caster camber plates, 03 cobra lower A arms, bullit suspension, cobra front brakes
Lethal5Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 09:21 PM   #7
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Terrific news
Old 08-23-2002, 10:04 AM   #8
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

Just make sure that the fan spins freely and theres no binding. Since your wiring the fan up yourself you could get some other type of circuit breaker and wire it in, or maybe a fuse that would be big enough to support it. They make circuit breakers for high power stereo systems, i dont see why that wouldnt work.
'95 GT convert. K&N, C&L mass air meter, Performance distributors sreamin demon coil, dyna mod, live wires, king cobra clutch, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, UPR billet adjustable shift handle, Crane Cams Fireball HI-6 box,underdrive pullies, 255lph fuel pump, UPr short throw shifter, caster camber plates, 03 cobra lower A arms, bullit suspension, cobra front brakes
Old 08-23-2002, 11:59 AM   #9
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Default Fan

I already have a fan hooked up on my car. I would be a matter of switching it out for this one. I wanted one with a shroud like this one has.
Old 08-23-2002, 12:12 PM   #10
lxfiveoh
Registered Member

Make sure whatever wiring you had in place for the other fan can handle the Taurus fan. OEM fans typically flow more than aftermarket counterparts because they have larger motors which draw alot more current.

Visit http://www.geocities.com/smithmonte/...rkVIII_Fan.htm for info on wiring up the Lincoln Mk VIII cooling fan. I believe they share the same motor.

Good luck!
lxfiveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 01:42 PM   #11
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

Go to your local audio store or even radioshack (i think) and ask for a inline circuit breaker. Wire into the positive wire going to the fan, this should protect you in the taurus fan should lock up. Im very dougbtful it will as mine hasnt and i know other people with the fan in question and theirs are fine to. The circuit breaker is just a precaution. Crap happens right
Old 08-23-2002, 06:46 PM   #12
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by Lethal5Oh
Crap happens right
Yup.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!