MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-13-2001, 10:20 PM   #1
affiliated
Registered Member

Question *WANTED*-advice on mod. procedure?

In about a week I'm getting my long anticipated pony. It's an all stock '88 GT (manual trans.)It hasn't been mistreated but i can sense that the years have taken its toll on it. I'd like to know how to go about modifying it - what to begin with, estimated prices, etc. I just became a member a few hours ago and I've been reading some of the messages it's obvious you guys know what you're talking about and any advice that can be given will be greatly appreciated. ***i'm glad i stumbled across this site cause it's good to know that there are fellow anti rice-rockets out there.
affiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 12:45 AM   #2
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Give me some details on the car, mileage, etc? What do you want to do with the car, do you want a 13 sec. car, a 12 sec. daily driver, 11 sec. rocket.? Good luck with your car, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

------------------
1989 GT, 3:55's, full exhaust, 4 in. hood, Pro 5.0, Have many other parts 4 sale. All parts for sale now.

2000 Camaro SS-A4, 13.7's bone stock.

1989 Chevy S-10, EX. Cab-383(500+hp on motor), trick flow heads, trick flow pistons, etc... autometer phantom gauges, "built" 700R4, roll cage, lexan back window, corbeau seats, R.H.S. 5 harnesses, Fuel cell, convo pro wheels, 15x14's with 29x18.5 M/T'S on back, 15x4's on front, nitrous, and so much more!
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 08:21 AM   #3
Kevin Price
Registered Member

affiliated

Welcome to the site. I am sure you will find a ton of of folks to give you the information you are looking for. As this is a technical question it belongs in our forum Windsor Power. You will get a a much better response over there.

Moved to Windsor Power

------------------
SVO siamesed 351 stroked to 417ci,Yates heads, solid roller,Trans King glide and a little blue bottle
of giggle gas. My Car
Kevin Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 08:52 AM   #4
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Goody goody! I love these topics

Well let's see. First things first.

1. Go out and buy all the parts needed for a good tuneup. Get some good plug wires (MSD wires are very nice), some Autolight #25 plugs, a brass cap and rotor, fuel filter, sunthetic oil, a good oil filter (I use K&N), and whatever else it needs like belts, hoses, etc. Now would be a good time to flush out the radiator too and fill it with distilled water and new coolant.

2. Sub-frame connectors would be my next purchase - full length is the way to go here with cross supports for the floor pans.

3. GEARS! This is a big step if you can't do the work yourself because labor will cost more than the parts, but gears will make a very big difference. I went with 3.73's with my T5 (manual tranny) car and couldn't be happier.

4. A good free flowing exhaust system will help out too. If you don't have emissions go with an off-road H-pipe or X-pipe and a cat-back system. Headers are optional but it'll help out to get those restricted stock headers off of the car as soon as possible. And installing a full exhaust system is easier than doing it in pieces.

5. From here I'd start upgrading the charging and cooling systems for future mods. A 3g alternator swap from a 94 or 95 GT is a piece of cake and a 3 core radiator from Pep Boys is only $100. Then get some underdrive pullies. For around $100 you can't beat em for the HP they will give ya.

6. Control arms would be my next step.

7. I can't leave out the trusty Pro 5.0 shifter. You will get a kick out of shifting gears with one of these!

I hope this helps. It's all a matter of what you want to do with the car so this is no set order you have to follow. Just the way I would go if I had to do it again. If ya want I'll spend some more money for ya and work my way up to a 10 point roll cage and a supercharger LOL.

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 08:07 PM   #5
affiliated
Registered Member

The ride has slightly under 155,000 miles on it. It will definately be a daily driver -- 13 sec. would be great -- 12 sec. would be better -- 11 sec.... I wouldn't mind hearing about either of these. I'm expecting to initially have $2,000 to drop into it. I know for a fact that it needs tires ----> Any suggestions?)
affiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2001, 12:44 AM   #6
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

hmm, 2,000 sounds like alot but when you start adding stuff up it wont get you extrememly far, a good tune up (which you definately need with those miles) will probably run you $100 or so, then I'd do gears and exhaust, gears installed will be about $400, then exhaust (self installed) with headers/off road h-pipe/catback = about $450, subframes $110 + $20 for a muffler shop to weld em up, you'll probably want a new radiator with your mileage so a pep boys 3 row (which they raised the price on!) is about $140 now, still not a bad price for what you get, pulleys are definately in there, ASP's are like $80, oh yah you said tires didnt you, uhh theres no one tire thats better than all the rest, but i like drag radials so for the back (im assuming you have 15X7 turbines, correct?) i think BFG has some 235/60 15s that would be fine, for the front, if dont really care about taking corners at 90mph or going 160 then you dont need anything really nice, id say about $450 in a set of tires , so the grand total here so far is about $1300
hey we've got $700 to play with
lets see, you could get a set of welds or other light wheels, or maybe control arms, 1.7RR's, bigger MAF and TB
after all this you should be running mid-high 13's or so maybe a little slower because your engine has quite a few miles on it, it also depends heavily on the sea level of your track/weather and how good of a driver you are
sorry i wrote so much, i, like kevin, love these questions, its like getting to do it all over again,

------------------
88 Notch, B&M Ripper, 3.73's, Ported E7's, Explorer int. w/ ported lower, pulleys, 1.7RR's, BBK headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters, subframes, 65mm TB, March ram air ,MSD coil, U/L control arms, 155lph f/p, Crane Adj.FPR, Nitto drag radials, best 1/4--> 13.76@101.4 on a 2.17 60ft
fiveohpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote