MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-19-2001, 02:16 PM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Exclamation Reverse or standard rotation water pump and '69 timing cover on a 93GT

I have a '69 351W block and need to which rotation water pump I can use, what the difference is between them, and why I was told I can't use a 69 351W timing cover in a mustang. Thanks in advance

------------------
Almost done!
93 GT, Dynamic C4, 8 pt cage, chute,
Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, 3.73's
'69 393 stroker w/SRP pistons, Edlebrock Performer heads, Performer RPM Upper & Lower Manifold..Crane Gold 1.6 Rollers Comp Cam..BBK 70MM TB, ceraminc shorties & H-pipe w/cats..30lb Injectors..Cartech Fuel System
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 03:26 AM   #2
84stangLX

The reverse rotation pump is for serpentine belt systems (because of the way the belt wraps around the water pump pulley), and i'm not sure of any physical differences. If you use a V-belt and pulleys you shouldn't have a problem. the serpentine belt rotates flat side against the pump whereas the V-belt is grooved side. If you use V-belts and a standard rotation pump you should be ok, and vice versa, but i don't know if a reverse rotation pump will work on an older cover. I think also that 302 covers and 351 covers are basically the same so you might be able to use your stock HO 302 cover on your '69 block if you want to use a reverse rotation pump and serpentine belt. Good luck, hope this helped.

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
My car
Old 06-21-2001, 11:10 AM   #3
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

An older stlye water pump with the inlet on the passenger side won't fit on a newer timing cover. I found that out yesterday. But, the Edelbrock 8840 aluminum 5.0 reverse rotation water pump will fit on the FRPP '69 351W timing cover. That's the good news. Now I don't need to buy the FRPP water pump(which is still made by Edelbrock and is $40.00 more!). Now my only dilema is which spacer I need to align the serpentine belt correctly. Thanks for the help.
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote