MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-09-2001, 07:58 PM   #1
redrider
Registered Member

Question weird grinding noise from axle

I have an Auburn Pro differential, 4.10 gears, Moser 28 spline axle shafts and new inner and outer rear wheel bearings.

I recently developed a kind of binding grinding noise from the rear when making slow left or right turns going forward or in reverse.

My mechanic took of the rear cover and found all the moving parts rotating freely. He put in synthetic gear oil and said wait awhile to see of the noise goes away. Still grinding!?%&#@ Straight driving does not cause any noise.

Please tell me what it could be. I don't want to blow a rear end going 80 on the highway.

Thanks

------------------
88 GT mass air conversion from 90lx, Cobra Intake(ported/polished lower),Edlebrock Heads(ported/polished),24# injectors 70 mm BBK TB, 73mm C&L, 347 SB, Wolverine custom cam, 150 shot Nitrous, BBK 1 3/4 long tubes, BBK off road H pipe, Dynomax cat back, alum driveshaft, Konis,Southside Bars w chromemoly torque boxes,AOD w lentech valve body, B&M MegaShifter, 4.10 with Auburn diff, SVO springs, subs, cross drilled rotors,MSD A6 w ign retard, black magic fan etc.
redrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2001, 10:32 PM   #2
dashapht
Registered Member

I have an Auburn differential (not the pro), FMS 3.73 gear, and stock axles. My diff. does the exact same thing yours does. It has about 7k miles on it, and as far as I know still works the same as the day I got it in there. It never opens up any..just make that grinding/rubbing noise when doing pretty sharp low speed turns. Usually it only does it when the car hasnt been driven for a few hours, so it may be lack of grease in the differential. Seems to be quiet after I've driven it a little.

------------------
1993 LX Coupe Reef blue w/grey int. 68k miles Mac long tubes 1 5/8, 2.5 inch Pro chamber, 2.5 Inch Flowmaster 2 chamber cat back, C&L 73mm MAF, 25% Underdrive Pulley, Mac Cold Air, Tri-ax shifter, 3.73, auburn diff, motorsport alum. driveshaft, BBK subframe connectors, Cobra R replicas with 255/40/17 Nittos , best time on radials 9.26@77 in 1/8th with 2.08 60' Just got ET streets. New times to come.
dashapht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2001, 10:03 AM   #3
Z28EATR
Registered Member

go to a ford dealership and ask for a bottle fo friction modifier. Put that in with the rear end grease. Give it about 500 miles to work in. That should fix it. I have an auburn unit in my rear end with 373 gears. Worked for me. I will admit i will occasionally get a slight rub everynow and again. But not often.

------------------
88 LX 5.0 Ragtop
"Desire"
14.29 @ 96.45 mph
Best 60ft 2.19 YUK!!!!
Best Mph 98.9

Z28EATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2001, 12:25 PM   #4
redrider
Registered Member

That may be but my noise is loud and the binding seems to promise a big explosion any minute. Funny thig is driving straight does no harm. Why the turns?

Quote:
Originally posted by dashapht:
I have an Auburn differential (not the pro), FMS 3.73 gear, and stock axles. My diff. does the exact same thing yours does. It has about 7k miles on it, and as far as I know still works the same as the day I got it in there. It never opens up any..just make that grinding/rubbing noise when doing pretty sharp low speed turns. Usually it only does it when the car hasnt been driven for a few hours, so it may be lack of grease in the differential. Seems to be quiet after I've driven it a little.

redrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 01:15 PM   #5
dashapht
Registered Member

Well, it's just fine when you're going straight because it's not doing any work. The whole purpose of a differential is to change the speed of the inside and outside tire in a turn, so when you're going straight, it's pretty much just along for the ride, unless youre accelerating hard which will cause things to tighten up. Ive made probably 40 dragstrip passes with the noise still evident, and it hasnt gotten any worse. Since you, me, and z28 eater have the same problem, i'd assume the noise is just something that those auburns (i believe they are cone style clutch differentials) have in common. also, friction modifier was added to my rear end lube during the initial gear install, which was 7k miles ago. I dont think it would have become ineffective after such a short amount of time.

------------------
93 Coupe, long tubes, pro chamber, flowmasters, 3.73, auburn, alum driveshft, subframes, tri-ax, pulley, 73mm MAF, cobra Rs.
dashapht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 08:47 PM   #6
TEXSN95
Registered Member

Ya I think that noise is pretty normal too.

------------------
Clint L.
White 95 Cobra #3637
58cc GT40X heads with mild porting, Crane 2031 cam, FRPP 65 TB, 1.7s, Cobra intake, homeade cold air, 155lph, pullies, Tokico Illuminas, C springs, GW LCAs, Kenny Brown super subs, Steeda CC plates, aluminum driveshaft, Steeda quadrant, B&M ripper, Kirban FPR, MSD6A, Taylor wires, Mac shorties, off road hpipe, 2 1/2 ultra flows w/ dumps, R hood, Euro clear corners, stock 3.08s
13.61 @ 104.7 w/ 2.22
TEXSN95 is offline   Reply With Quote