MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-23-2001, 06:17 PM   #1
chris91LX
Registered Member

Default Roller Rocker Weirdness...(Long)

I put in my roller rockers a couple weeks ago and things were fine. Last night I had one of the nuts back out on me and I pulled it apart and re-torqued all of them again. The problem is that I noticed after I hand tightened the nuts down on the rockers, on cylinders 5,6,7,8 both rockers (intake and exhaust) would tighten easily with the wrench, compressing the valves and valve springs at least a half an inch. The weird part was that in cylinders 1,2 & 3 after the nut was tightened hand-tight, the wrench would barley tighten the nut more than a 1/4 turn and it was TIGHT. It just seems odd that 10 of the sixteen valve/valve springs would compress so much while the others didn't compress at all. A freind thought the valve springs may be tired but it seemes awful uniform for all of them except the ones in cylinders 1,2 & 3 to be bad. Anyone have any ideas why this would be? TIA
125 shot - 12.04 @ 113 1.59 60'
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 06:50 PM   #2
chris91LX
Registered Member

Oh yeah, I DID adjust them when the lifters were on the flat part of the cam lobe. I ended up tigtening them by hand then snugging them down about a half turn with the wrench and tightening the crap out of the set screw.
Old 11-24-2001, 07:27 AM   #3
robertwigton
Registered Member

Lightbulb Rocker Arm adjustment

If you get a Chiltons book(the professional one,check out public library,and make copys)I have done the valve adjustment a few times with good resuilts.If you were tightening down the spring,
you may need to shim rocker arm or get shorter push rod.
wires,under drive pulleys,no smog
timming @ 16 deg,K&N,70 mm maf,
Pro5.0shifter,Home made frame con.
south side lift bars,3.73 bald @#! tires(2 on rear!)Sony C-D and Rockford fasgate rear,w/sony explode
5 1/2 in front.
robertwigton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 10:03 AM   #4
LX5liter
dude5l

Hi Chris,
that does sound quite odd. I believe that your cylinders 5,6,7,8 are normal and you have a problem with the other bank of cylinders. (#4 as well? )Was the motor rebuilt in the last little while? I'm just asking because a similar thing happened to me a long time ago and it had turned out one bank of pistons (domed ) was installed backwards. It sounds as if you definitly have an interference problem somewhere.

Brad R.
1992 L.X. 5.0 coupe
MODS: A few little bolt ons
New Best time ...11.60 @ 128 mph @ 2000+ ft altitude.

Rice Haters Club member #39

Users rides #2542
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 10:26 AM   #5
Kponti
Registered Member

Default I had the SAME problem

I am still not sure what exactly fixed it, but I do remember replacing my valve springs, and lifters not too long afterwards.

I do think it is just that that bank had mostly compressed lifters, if U were to take the lifters out and soak them in oil overnight, and try adjusting them U will not see that again (at least for that time) I don't think it is necesary for that though. Just adjust it the right way (all I did) and it should be fine. I would suggest replacing your lifters if they are still stock or over 50-60g miles (cheap enough insurance).
13.06 @111mph best MPH
After gutting out clogged cats and a much better tune. Took Nitrous out for warranty work didn't have time to put back in for track.
Kponti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 07:39 PM   #6
chris91LX
Registered Member

The engine is bone stock with 75000 miles. The first time the valve covers were off was when I put the rockers on a couple weeks ago. The pushrods were brand new Ford Racing Hardened ones I put in with the rockers, same length as stock. Thought it might have been the lifters frozen all the way up, but I couldn't get them to go down by pushing down on the pushrod. It just seemed odd that both valves on 5 cylinders were one way and both valves on the other three were another. I'm planning on getting heads in the next few weeks anyway so I'm not too concerned, just curious. Thanks for the replys, maybe I'll never know for sure.