MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-30-2002, 11:49 PM   #1
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

Default Wet roads+ m/t sport pros= stained underwear

Oh yea, i thought going to sport pros instead of e.t. streets would be better in the rain, i try to avoid it all togeter (rain, but i got caught in a huge storm, i tried to pull over, i just kept saying, a little further, and go slow". well i easily went to 3rd gear, had the radio up, at 30 mph i hit a patch of water, the car wouldnt steer, and veered into oncoming traffic, straight for a ditch, thank god noone was coming so i hit the brakes, (worse thing to do while hydro planeing) and the rear end came around, I sudenly stopped after feeling like i was going to roll sliding sideways to a hault, there was people at a stop sign looking with a horrified look, knowing how bad it could have been, after that i restarted the motor, went 20mph to a post office where i stayed a while, even then, i felt the rearend get loose even in 4th under 1800 rpms? wtf? then went home and changed my draws LOL

so i guess its time for dragradials, or something better, because that was scary it could have been also, the asphalt had'nt seen rain in months, then all of a sudden it comes a turd floatahh! makes for greasy wet pavement.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 12:58 AM   #2
sn95gt19
motors done......woohooo

i did the same thing, only on et streets last year, needless to say i run a drag radial now. i actually crashed into the median though.

95gt lazer red (98 cobra clone)
Rice Haters Club Member #116
sn95gt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 02:32 AM   #3
90LxDroptop
Registered Member

Loosing control of something that you usually always have control of is really scary. I lost it going home from hooters once on a REAL busy street, but for some reason that busy street wasn't busy at all. I spun the car did a 180 in the damp street. It was scary stuff, Bent an axle! AHHH. oh well that's fixed. this was on street tires tho!(real bald, might as well of been e.t. streets.lol) KEEP IT SAFE! AND DON'T DO CRACK!

- Suave
Old 07-01-2002, 10:48 AM   #4
Agent_4573
Registered Member

I've lost my control of my rear end 3 times in my car(the cars rear end, not mine). First time was the 2nd day i had the car and it was wet, the next time was on wet payment and was just trying to fishtail it a little, ended up thewrong way on route 1 in jersey, the last time i was coming off the parkway and saw a puddle so i decided to fishtail it, needless to say i was facing the wrong way up that road again... I think if i go to drag radials i would end of going backwards alot more in the rain.
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

RICER HATERS CLUB MEMBER 87!
www.ricehatersclub.com
Agent_4573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 05:30 PM   #5
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

I think that is pretty common among mustang owners if it rains within the first month of ownership. The day I transferred the title of my stang now into my name, it rained. Needless to say, the rear end came around on me when I was shifting into second. This was right in the middle of the intersection. Luckily, she fistailed a little and I straightned her up. This was on street tires that were half gone. They were cheap *** tires anyway, so I bought 4 good ones about a week later. But I still drive the speed limit in the rain, I just have to be careful shifting gears. I have a tendency to shift fast when I am driving. LOL
Old 07-01-2002, 11:51 PM   #6
FivepointOH
Registered Member

I had some very very bald dr's and had the same thing happen except i hit the median facing the wrong way in traffic on I-35.... Coupe5oh: you guys are getting a lot of rain up in SA huh? I was supposed to go to new braunfels to go tubing tommorow(tuesday) but might put it off till wed or thurs because of the rain.
FivepointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 11:44 AM   #7
sgwinn
Registered Member

Yep. been there too. Much better now that I got the sticky Yokohama's. they really do well. Z rated and sticky and only 80 bucks a tire at Tirerack.com
Old 07-02-2002, 01:20 PM   #8
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

fivepointoh, unless you like raging rivers, i would stay clear from tubing that guadalupe river, im about 15 mins away from the river, its real bad, back in 98 we had what they call the "100 year flood" because noone has seen anything like it, and they are saying this is as bad as that was, every major interstate is closed, or was at one time, we seen up to 10 inches of rain in some areas in just a couple hours, avoid this area if possible, my car is parked until i see dry pavement.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer

mph- 99.92 mph
Old 07-02-2002, 08:04 PM   #9
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

When I get my sportsman pros, I'm gonna use them for track only or maybe for driving to the track ath the most.
Coupe5oh, what pressure do you run them at on the strip? Mine should be here in about a week and I need to know what a good starting point would be for air pressure.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:47 PM   #10
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

I found that mine were hard to hook up when new, i tried to burn rubber off them before i went to the track, but it took a couple of track trips to get them sticky enough, and I did semi dry burnouts, i mean, i back into the waterbox a little bit, i try to keep them a little dry, but somewhat wet on the burnout, the more they wore down, the better they hook, they dont last long, but mine are starting to hook really good as they get balder, and i run 15 lbs, or i go lower until i get some bite with at least a 3k launch.

mph- 99.92 mph