MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-11-2001, 09:32 AM   #1
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

Question What is the best way to gut the stock cats?

I was going to buy an aftermarket h-pipe w/o cats, but I just don't have the extra money to do that anymore.

I would leave them alone, but about a month ago I put on an A/C delete kit and I bought a smaller belt and bypassed the air pump. I know after a while this will clog my cats, so now the cheapest thing I can try to do is gut them out.

------------------
1991 GT, AOD, Moroso Cold Air, 3.73s, Pulleys,
3-chambers soon to be dumps after new h-pipe,
FMS c-springs, and KYBs, A/c delete,
190 LPH fuel pump, 3-row radiator
MTU 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 11:02 AM   #2
todd95GT
Registered Member

Call around to the hi-po shops in your area. Sometimes (like in my case), they will have many pipes laying around their shop and will give you one for a very good price. I got one from my shop that had some surface rust on it for next to nothing. I cleaned it up and bolted it in. Also check ebay motors and your local trader publications. Gutting those cats seems very difficult because of thier location in the center of the pipes. If there is a way to remove them, you can use a long screwdriver to drive out the material in the centers. I've done it before but it is easier to save a few bucks to buy an off road pipe; you could find a new one for just over a hundred dollars.

------------------
Todd
1995 GT/T-5
Pulleys; 65 mm TB; Flowmaster cat-back; Mac off road H-pipe; FMS aluminum driveshaft; short-throw shifter; HD clutch; Cobra R's; Cobra front and wing
todd95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 12:45 PM   #3
Tony91LX
Registered Member

I wouldn't do it save up some money and get an off-road H pipe.

You will eventually have to go through emissions and will cost you a lot more in the long run to get cats then a H pipe.
Tony91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 01:34 PM   #4
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Get a different H pipe. Try E-bay or the classifieds. I'm sure $50 will get you one.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 08:30 PM   #5
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

My college raised tuition 15% this year and because the school's budget is all f'ed up, I lost my job at the Library this year, so the bottom line is money is tight and $100 is far too precious to waste on an h-pipe.

My area is 2 towns next to each other in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan with a combined pop. of maybe 10,000. I highly doubt anybody is going to have old h-pipes laying around, but if I was back home(Detroit area) it would be a good idea.

Unit, you had a good idea too, but even $50 is too much. I was just wondering if there was a trick that could be done that was fairly inexpensive. My girlfriend's dad does have access to a welder, so maybe if I get the time I could just remove the damn things and weld pipe in their place. I just figured anything is better than clogged up convertors.

And I doubt I will have to deal with emissions any time soon so that is not a concern.

Thanks guys

------------------
1991 GT, AOD, Moroso Cold Air, 3.73s, Pulleys,
3-chambers soon to be dumps after new h-pipe,
FMS c-springs, and KYBs, A/c delete,
190 LPH fuel pump, 3-row radiator
MTU 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 10:12 PM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

The converters are very fragile. Harsh impacts will destroy them. Find a long metal tube, shove it in there band bust them up. Make sure you get all the chunks out. You can also give them a few jarring wacks with a hammer as long as you're not denting it up.

From what I've heard the gutted cats don't sound all that great, but yeah, they're better than plugged cats.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 11:26 PM   #7
stevstum
Registered Member

Talking

I'm not sure this will work but get 4 m80s and put one in each end of the pipes. Light one at a time and run like hell. Thinking about it, if it holds up to this it will work on your car.

------------------
Steve Stumbaugh

89 LX 5.0 5sp.
Removed air silencer
Motorcraft 8mm wires
Autolite platinum plugs
BBK O/R h-pipe

stevstum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2001, 10:45 AM   #8
Yan88gt
Registered Member

On some h-pipe there is metal screen that wrap the converters . Sometimes the converter is removed but the screen is still insinde. Be carefull!
Yan88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2001, 11:56 AM   #9
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

i second the m-80 thing..i know for a fats it works..if not you can only get to 3 of them with a pipe

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
AIM=onesillynotch
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 11:09 AM   #10
Five0
Registered Member

It does not sound bad, I had it done on my 88gt because I could not afford the real thing and one of my cats went out and ruined one of my mufflers. It sent pieces of the material into my muffler so I pulled it off and took a piece of rebar and knocked all the material out; there are some screens in each cat and you will have to get all that out also.
It will however not sound as good as an off road H-pipe!

------------------
James Cox
nochevy@hotmail.com
1991 Mustang LX
No times with 347 stroker yet.
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 12:44 AM   #11
withamc
Registered Member

Years ago I cut my H-pipe apart right behind the cats, gutted them and welded them back together. I have heard that the turbulence caused by the empty cats actually costs you power though. Bottom line is I got a new BBK h-pipe with cats and it sounds much better and isn't any slower. Not sure why you're bypassing the air pump though. It hardly costs you any power - maybe 2-3 HP. The power steering is the killer.
withamc is offline   Reply With Quote