MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-07-2001, 11:50 AM   #1
QUICKSTANG77
Registered Member

Lightbulb Please Help Guys

Ok here is my problem. I have been going through a quart of oil about every 2 weeks which seems wierd to me and when i get on it i was told that you could see some blue smoke out the pipes. These seems wierd because the heads have just been completely redone and so has the engine. The motor is a 1966 289 HiPo K code engine and im not sure if they were sealed or not back then. Also after the motor was redone it sat for 7 years then i but it in my mustang a couple months ago. But I do have a PCV valve and a breather installed on the valve covers. The hose that comes off the PCV valve I have noticed is soaked in oil and so is the breather and i noticed that when i take the PCV valve out while its running a oil mist is coming out. Could the oil be coming through the hose out off the PCV valve into the manifold and thats how its burning the oil thus resulting the blue smoke. Should I just remove the PCV valve and breather and block them off. Any help would deffinatley be appreciated. Thanks
1983 Mustang GT, 1966 289 HiPo engine .030 over with forged flat top pistons, high volume oil pump, crane cam .512/.512, 1970 351W heads, weiand stealth intake, holley 650 double pumper carb, shorty headers, no cats, no smog pump or AC, 3 chamber flowmaster, accel distributor, msd coil, MAC upper and lower control arms, lakewood traction bars. Built C4 with 3500 stall converter, B&M Quicksilver shifter and 3.73's in the rear.
QUICKSTANG77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 02:09 PM   #2
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Sounds like excessive blow by to me. The oil misting and soaked breather, oil consumption and smoke all indicate worn rings, The engine may not have been assembled correctly 7 years ago, the rings sound like they are sticking and not sealing. Run a compression test to test this out. How much do you know about the machine work done to the motor?? Did you take it apart before installing?? Just try to eliminate any questions before pulling the motor again!

93 P-71 Vic interceptor Backup car now

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

74 Chevy Laguna type S-3 454 under construction
Currently apart undergoing bodywork.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 07:48 AM   #3
PKRWUD

The rings could be frozen too, especially if it sat for that long.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote