MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-01-2001, 10:27 PM   #1
DemonGT
Registered Member

Post WHAT TO DO?????

i have gave this alot of thought latly....if im going to do all these mods..like heads,intake,TB etc. should i buy a new block?? i was planing on buying a 331 stroker kit in the future some time...probubly not this summer but next summer....my motor has 91k on it....do you guys think it is still ok for a stroker kit...or should i buy 331 short block and build it up?? off suject sort a but if i had a 331 stroker can i still use like a cobra intake and stuff like that or do you need special parts?

------------------
1991 GT,T-5,air silencer removed,racing clutch(previous owner put in so dont know what kind),K&N air filter,Aiwa deck,power acoustic amp,2 12" pianeers
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 12:17 AM   #2
DemonGT
Registered Member

????info anyone

------------------
1991 GT,T-5,air silencer removed,racing clutch(previous owner put in so dont know what kind),K&N air filter,Aiwa deck,power acoustic amp,2 12" pianeers
Old 01-02-2001, 03:46 AM   #3
DemonGT
Registered Member

uhh....i guess not?

------------------
Old 01-02-2001, 08:04 AM   #4
LOCASH
Registered Member

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use the intake. Does the company you are getting the short block need a core? If there is nothing wrong with your block I think (read "in my opinion") you should use yours and get the kit unless you think you will have a hard time finding someone to do the machine work. If you use your block it's also going to take a little longer and your going to be without wheels longer. I was thinking about the same kit but I saw Kenne Bell's supercharger.

------------------
86 GT T-tops, AOD, B&M shift kit and hammer shifter, ROH wheels, K&N, Timing,MAC headers, 2.5 off road H, 2.5 American Thunder, 87 spindles, rear disc,SS lines, BBK 1.5, poly bushings, Crutchfield front kick panel speakers.
LOCASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 09:51 PM   #5
DemonGT
Registered Member

i mean....will my stock block hold up to the 331 stroker kit and the mods im doing?

------------------
Old 01-02-2001, 10:00 PM   #6
exgmguy
Registered Member

I put a 75 shot and numerous bolt on's to my 120,000 mile short block and had no problems. I built a spare motor and threw it in to be on the safe side after almost two years. Never had a problem.

Now a stroker kit will require you to completely disassemble your shortblock anyway. (new crank/rods/pistons + overbore) so you will have a new shortblock by the time you are done.

You will still be using a 302 block so your Cobra intake and all the other accessories will work just fine.
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2001, 02:07 PM   #7
DemonGT
Registered Member

well thats good.....so what your saying is...all that stuff that a stroker kit comes with..after installing all of it its kinda like engine rebuild?

------------------
Old 01-03-2001, 02:28 PM   #8
Moxie
Registered Member

Yep, it's like rebuilding the engine, only it ends up bigger, and with better parts.
The stock block should stand up to about 500 horsepower with no problems. Some will take as much as 600. If you're not planning on going beyond that, you don't need a new block.

------------------
Moxie Racing
Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2001, 03:41 PM   #9
DemonGT
Registered Member

so if i bought a 331 stroker kit for about $1500 what else would i need to make it complete? or is that it?

------------------
Old 01-05-2001, 04:10 PM   #10
cleangreenmachine

Well, you'd need to factor in some money for machine work. For instance, having the cylinders bored out slightly, possibly some other clean up work. I'm not sure what condition your block is in. A reputable machine shop will be able to look at your block and tell you what you need without soaking you.

There might be some other machine work that you need specific to the stroker kit. When I had my Grand Prix (covers face with hands), I dreamed of putting a 383 stroker in it. In this GM example, the cylinders needed to be clearanced at the bottom so the rods wouldn't make contact with the cylinder wall based on the longer stroke crank.

Anyway, not sure what all is involved in stroking a 302 but to be on the safe side save a few hundered dollars for machine work. Also I would buy a new set of fasteners if your kit doesn't already come with them. Gaskets too. Little stupid things but they are necessary and they do add up.

------------------
Greg
91 LX Convertible

[This message has been edited by cleangreenmachine (edited 01-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by cleangreenmachine (edited 01-05-2001).]

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: