MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-13-2005, 04:43 PM   #1
randbstar
Registered Member

Default What do i need to support 4:10's for 93 LX

Hey everyone!
Need some advice
I am upgrading a few items on my stang. I want to buy some headers but i dont know what type, meaning long or short, diameter and all. Also I wanna put in a cam but need to know the right one for my veh.

Here is my car info, let me know:

Basically stock 302 5.0 LX automatic AOD, ford racing wires 9mm
Upgraded from 3:55 and put in 4:10 today. Getting H-pipe w/convert and K&N cold air induction kit put on this saturday

Also i am getting the tranny rebuilt this monday
Is there anything in particular i need to have with regards to supporting the power of the rear end?

Its not gonna be a track car. I just wanna have a quick take off and be out on fools out here. Not many females, out in sacramento, with older stangs so I have to prove my worth. Besides I'm tired of these guys burning out on me. So I'm tryna have my stang right for the summer.

Thanks!

sierra

Last edited by randbstar; 05-13-2005 at 05:01 PM..
randbstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 05:23 PM   #2
Simi Stang

Default Re: What do i need to support 4:10's for 93 LX

Right on Sierra. Nice to see you a girl modding her Mustang for once. You really don't have to do anything to the transmission to support the 4.10s. Although a shift kit, and maybe a higher stall converter would definitely benefit you. Nothing major...just a 2,000 or maybe 2,200 rpm stall converter for your auto trans. As for the headers...the long tubes will give you a little more power & sound better. But they are more money, and I believe you, or the people that install them for you...will have to relocate your oxygen sensor. This is because the long tube headers are obviously different, and longer than the stock exhaust manifolds. Personally, I'd save some money and go the easy route with some unequal length shorty headers. Oh, and a cam will do nothing for your car as long as you have the stock cylinder heads & manifold. If you ever get around to upgrading the heads & manifold...that would be the time for a cam. Hope this helps some.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:03 PM   #3
83GTMUSTANG
N-V-ME

Yes I Agree Get Some 1 5/8 In. Shorty Headers About $100 On Ebay .an Get Some Gt 40's Or Port You Stock Heads About $250 To $350 On Ebay ,than Get Your Self A Set Of 1.7 Roller Rockers Bout $110 On Ebay, An For Intakes Cobra, Gt 40, Edelbrock, Holley All Make Good Choice An Do You Drive Your Car On The Freeway If So Your Going To Be Cruisen 65 At 3300 Rpms With Your 4.10's Ive Got A 5 Speed With 3.73's Its Irratating..........good Luck
83GTMUSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:33 PM   #4
Simi Stang

83GTMUSTANG has a good point...4.10s for your every day driver might tach a little high on the freeway. You may want to consider getting 3.73...or the fairly new 3.90s. The 3.90s are a little more difficult to find...but they are out there. I've spoke with several people on message boards that have recently had 3.90s installed and love them. It doesn't sound like Sierra is completely ready to get new heads, manifold & cam...but if that is something you might be considering in the new future Sierra...I have a Edelbrock Performer 5.0 manifold (fuel injected, obviously) for sale in the classifieds section of this site. The manifold is in excellent condition. I'll part with it for $300 + shipping costs. I even have a 1/2" carbon fiber plenum spacer that goes between the upper & lower manifolds that I'll include in the deal. It gives the runners a little more length and made a noticeable difference in helping my motor run cooler. PM me if you're at all interested.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:22 PM   #5
randbstar
Registered Member

Thanks yall for the input.
Yeah i was gonna get 3.73 but was like, why not go the whole way.
She was my freeway car but she is getting put to rest and will only be a cruiser for the weekend.

You are right, I am not quite ready but give me time.

Thanks for all the input and i will go with the 1 5/8 for shorty headers. Does it matter which maker I use, like BBK, Hedman, etc....

Peace!

Sierra
randbstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 10:26 PM   #6
83GTMUSTANG
N-V-ME

It Does Not Matter Which Ones You Get Just Get Name Brand..............
83GTMUSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:52 PM   #7
ols0051
Registered Member

Ive got bbk's 1 5/8's shorty's on my wifes drop top for about six years now and no problems so far.
ols0051 is offline   Reply With Quote