MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-06-2001, 10:47 PM   #1
82_mustang50
Registered Member

Post What do you people think of this

Ok, i changed motors in my mustang from an 82 to an 83 HO. when i had my old motor in it i didnt have any problems with peeling out or anything. but when i put in this new motor i had no power. well i thought maybe the timing was off. so i took off the vaccum advance and plugged the hole. well all of the sudden my rpm's went way up so i messed with the idle speed. made sure that the timing was still where it was supposed to be and i reconnected the vaccum advance. well now it has the power that it should have. should i be worried or not. the guy at autozone said that i shouldnt mess with it. the motor had been sitting for around three or four months maybe more. then the car was sitting around for a few more after that. maybe something got knocked loose? should i be worried about the sudden surge in rpm's? it seems to be running fine now, temps fine, oil's a little low, idle kinda surges but i havent really messed with the carb yet so i hope thatll change if thats all my problems i can live with a little surge? so should i do anything or leave it be? no pinging or anything. thanks for your patience in reading this any comments will be appriciated.
82_mustang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 11:15 AM   #2
PKRWUD

i'm not sure why your idle speed went up when you disconnected the vacuum source from the distributor, unless it's a push/pull vacuum advance (with two vacuum ports), and the line is missing it's delay valve, but even then it shouldn't make a noticable difference. If the advance was stuck, or if your vacuum line was improperly routed to a manifold vacuum source instead of a ported vacuum source, the idle speed should have dropped, not increased. Hard to say. In any case, the timing was obviously off, and you seem to have it adjusted correctly now. If you are happy with it, then by all means, leave it alone. The carburetor should be rebuilt be someone who knows how, which will likely solve your surging problem.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: