MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-14-2001, 01:18 AM   #1
physicusstang
Registered Member

Question What do you think about this V6-V8 setup?

Okay, here is the situation. I have found a '83 Convertible for a great price ($650!)
I am going to check it out this weekend. I also have found an '88 5.0 EFI w/ 127,000 mi. on it for $500, including all
accessories, wiring harnesses, smog stuff, and computer. I was wondering if this setup could work for me and what do I need to make this swap as painless as possible? I am also looking for an auto. tranny because I don't know how to drive a stick. I kind of figured I would need more than an engine. Could you tell me exactly what I would need to do this? I probably need to change fuel lines, double hump tranny crossmember for dual exhaust, etc. I've been doing alot of research on this kind of swap and with me and my dad working together, we should be okay. I also wanted to add some info on the car. The gentleman said that the car is a body, not engine (Originally a 3.8 V6) or tranny. I figured that I would have the car painted and add on all of the things that I need to convert before we put the motor and tranny in. Also would redo the interior (since it's a very old car and the inside probably smells like crap.) But anyway, I would also add on some suspension stuff while the car is stripped down and begin to rebuild the 5.0 in the meantime. I am driving my parents car, so it doesn't matter that I won't be able to drive it for awhile. And, if anyone has a Carfax account, could you please run this Vin # for me... 1FABP2737DF210989. Please give me any helpful advice you can. Thanks.

physicusstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 07:46 AM   #2
Shawn
Registered Member

First...I'm not sure which car is the body and which is running... so I'm not going to list everything here, but I'll give a if you are putting the 88's engine in the 83'. Since I'm assuming you will probably want the front suspension, brakes...etc. from the 88' anyway remover anything that attaches the engine/tranny to the body(vacuum lines, wires, hoses, cables..etc) and also the brake line that runs to the front brakes, unbolt the struts, loosen the bolts that hold the K-member to the frame, unbolt the tranny mount from the frame of the car, take off the driveshaft, take of the front tires and get the front of the car resting on blocks under the k-member and tranny, make it as close to the ground as you can-but high enough that you can get the rest of the k-member bolts out. Then take out the other k-member bolts and if everything is disconnected you should be able to lift the body of the car off of the entire drivetrain. Do the same to the other car, then set the other car on the better drivetrain and bolt it up...may sound tough/easy to you depending on ability. All I can say is that it works very nicely if you take your time and be patient, double check to make sure everythings disconnected...
good luck!
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 07:51 AM   #3
Shawn
Registered Member

Forgot to mention...to lift the car we used an engine hoist, but it is easily possible if you get a bunch of your buddies together. I remember days when it was fun to pick up the rear end of a honda and turn it sideways in its parking spot! ahhh...
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote