MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-17-2001, 10:15 AM   #1
Waterborn
Registered Member

Question What exhaust to get?

I have a mostly stock 95 mustang GT (just underdrive pulleys) I thought my next step would be exhaust. But i am torn between what to get. i would like some more horsepower, still keep low-end torque, and have a nice sound. Should i just get a set of mufflers (2.25) or a 2.5 cat back system. What system should i get in your opinion?
Waterborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 12:39 PM   #2
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Stay with a 2 1/2" system and go with MAC stuff.

Whatever system you choose has to be based around what you want down the road. If you want horsepower and plan to add a few mods go with long tubes and a full 2 1/2" system to back it up. If you want ease of installation go with shorties. I'd highly recommend doing the entire exhaust system at once for ease of install. Just remember, if you buy a crossover to mate up with your stock shorties then plan on buying a new one if you ever decide to go with long tubes. I'd say go with long tubes from the get go, but for some reason I'll bet you get varying opinions on this. Everyone told me I would lose low end torque with long tubes, but I disagree. My car gained all the way accross the rpm range and my exhaust system has been one of the best mods I have done to my car yet.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 12:46 PM   #3
bada$$lx

Cool

2Fast....I'm looking into a MAC set up myself, except that to do the entire system's gonna run me $1k (off the MAC site). Have you seen the MAC products cheaper at any other site?

------------------
'90 LX 5.0; 12K original miles (no sh*&); 3.55 gears; pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads; BBK shorties; MSD 6AL box w/ blaster 2 coil; Motorsport E303 cam; Pro-M 75mm MAF; BBK 70mm TB; Eibach spring kit; Southside welded subs; K&N cone filter charger; Hurst shifter; fiberglass turbo hood; A/C-less; rear seat-less; cat-less; 2 chamber Flos; Corbeau racing seats (fronts);
30# injectors; JMS Chip; 190 lb fp; TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113)
Old 07-17-2001, 01:16 PM   #4
dinomite
The Dude

bada$$lx I've looked at doin my exhaust, and its about that.

Waterborn i agree with 2FastLX, you should try and do everything at once. On a stock motor, it doesn't really put out enought exhaust to need a fully open exhaust (ie, offroad H pipe), so i would suggest you get one with high flow cats. i think that MAC has good stuff, and you can get everything from them. Go with longtubes, and you'll pick up a little torque, but even if you don't, your gonna pick up some hp in the upper range. to sum it up, long tubes, compatable MAC high flow catted H-pipe, and cat-back of choice.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 01:55 PM   #5
jimberg
Registered Member

2Fast, I'm not sure, but I thought I saw an extension that allowed you to use a long tube h-pipe/x-pipe with shorty headers. Then when you go to long tubes, you don't need a new intermediate pipe. I believe in having as few connections like that as possible, but it would be an option.

Anyone else see these around?

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 04:22 PM   #6
bada$$lx

Cool

2.5" or 3"??? (FYI - getting "juiced" in near future too)

------------------
'90 LX 5.0; 12K original miles (no sh*&); 3.55 gears; pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads; BBK shorties; MSD 6AL box w/ blaster 2 coil; Motorsport E303 cam; Pro-M 75mm MAF; BBK 70mm TB; Eibach spring kit; Southside welded subs; K&N cone filter charger; Hurst shifter; fiberglass turbo hood; A/C-less; rear seat-less; cat-less; 2 chamber Flos; Corbeau racing seats (fronts);
30# injectors; JMS Chip; 190 lb fp; TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113)
Old 07-17-2001, 06:51 PM   #7
429AL
Registered Member

well i have the mac stuff and i dont like it. Its very difficult to install and mine is starting to get rusty. Next time i will go with the chrome looking pipes, I can handle the color change but not the rust. mine is on an 85 but same basics apply. I would like to know of a good set myself for my 89 and not mac this time.
429AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 11:40 PM   #8
DemonGT
Registered Member

dont complain about it being hard...if everything was really easy and simple to install then it wouldnt be a challange..there for it wouldnt be as fun...i had my Mac long tubes coated with high temp muffler paint at a muffler factory..its not holding up its bubbling up and flaking but o well..the coating was free

------------------
'91 GT,91K,T-5,air silencer removed,HD clutch,K&N air filter,Mac long tubes,Cat-back,off road H,FMS 9mm wires,180 thermostat,Competition gauges,C&L 76mm MAF,Accufab 70mm TB,TFS street heat intake

Waiting install:Nothing

Future Mods:3.73's,Pro 5.0,TFS heads,TFS stage 1 cam,lakewood struts/shocks,nitto DR's
ICQ#35670781
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 11:44 PM   #9
DemonGT
Registered Member

here are to sound clips of mac mufflers http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/sounds/MAC3.WAV http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/sounds/MAC1.WAV
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 12:09 AM   #10
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

bada$$lx - My entire system cost me $750 (without cats that is). You see the link in my sig that says "Buy your parts here"? Click that. Jeff at MustangWarehouse has prices that are competitive with everyone else, but he also has free shipping so that makes it even better.

429AL - As for the MAC stuff being difficult to install, I have heard this from other people. Mine was a bit of a pain, but not so hard that I regret buying the MAC stuff. The fit from the long tubes on back was pretty good actually on mine.
The MAC stuff does rust, but it's an exhaust system and lets face it - unless you go with a stainless system and pay out the @ss for it it's going to rust. There is always the option to have the stuff ceramic coated. Just a thought.

Here's some MAc clips of my car when the only mods on it was the exhaust... http://www.mustangwarehouse.com/exha...und-clips.html

These are all of my car and it sounds even meaner now with all the mods.

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 12:38 AM   #11
green94droptop
Registered Member

http://www.mustangworks.com/rides/so...1726-slot4.wav

------------------
Green '94 GT conv. -- K&N filter charger, FMS 9mm wires, Accel hipo cap/rotor, 180* thermo, 14* timing, PRO 5.0, off road H-pipe in front of 2 chamber flow's, Steeda subframe connectors w/ crossbrace, stock, stock, stock, yeah and that's stock too.

My 'Stang
green94droptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 11:58 PM   #12
BlackFly
Registered Member

my cousin has the complete mac exhaust system, shorties, 2 1/2 all the way back. this thing usually scares people off just from the sound, seriously loud. to loud for my taste, but it does sound awesome though . i found the fit to be quite simple.3" is a bit large for a normally aspirated 302.2 1/2 works real nice right up to 500 hp.
BlackFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 04:06 PM   #13
95mustanggt
Registered Member

I like the MAC system on Hammer's car. It is not as loud as my Dynomax, mind you I have no Cats.

My exhaust system was the best mod (Ok, OK, it's like my only mod ), but it sounds cool and added performance to the car. I still have the factory headers, but I think I'll go long tubes after I get a different set of heads.

After trashing the cats and going with the Off road pipes, I don't know how much more performance I would see in changing my headers without changing heads, intake, etc.

------------------
1995 Mustang GT
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 04:49 PM   #14
Stang Runner
Registered Member

This is my car with Edelbrock and a X-pipe 1 5/8 shorts http://192.168.1.104/mustang.htm

------------------
1988 LX 5.0 Was 3060lbs (full Tank) 14.62@96.9On a Gtech Drivetrain: 3.55, World Class T-5, Lakewood Bellhousing, Adjustable Cluch Cable, AL Driveshaft, Manual Steering Rack Suspension: MAC Control Arms,Maximum Motorsports Front Grip Package, H&R Sport Spings, Bilstein Shocks
Engine: Steal Mounts, K&N, Under Drive Pulles Exhaust: 1 5/8 Un-Equal Length Mac Headers, X-pipe W\cats, Edelbrock cat\back Cooling:3 Core Radiator
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote