MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-09-2002, 10:40 PM   #1
7SecYaRight
Registered Member

Question What is going on????

Ok, when i am driving my car('93 LX Notchback) it seeems to be fine, but as soon as i come to a stop or let it idel for a bit(30 seconds +) it revs up and then wants to stall. If i give it all out gas it will stall but if I feather the gas it will sputter and then start running fine until the next stop light. Does anyone have any ideas??? Maybe your car is doing this or has done this in the past.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Thanks 7SecYaRight
7SecYaRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 10:46 PM   #2
bobtodd
Registered Member

I was having problems with my idle when coming to a stop. My idle would rev up and down. It would surge down low enough sometimes to where the car would die. I ended up buying throttle body cleaner, and sprayed my throttle body and IAC out. I took it for a spin and it is idling a heck of a lot better. I also added fuel injector cleaner to my gas, and changed my fuel filter. Just some ideas.
91 LX - 10.5:1 pistons, ported 289 heads, Ultradyne 588 cam, Cobra upper/lower, MSD, JBA long tube headers, Flowmaster, Richmond 4:10, roll cage, monster tach...FUN!!

95 SHO - K&N filter
bobtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 01:00 AM   #3
ballistic_331LX
Registered Member

Default ENTIRE FUEL SYSTEM

interesting.....hope you do not mind me requestiing to throw some maintenance on your whole fuel system....new fuel filter, fuel pump, new regulator or whatever else to throughly debug any problems your car may have......also might wanna try a 30 dollar code scanner....i bought one at sears thinking the thing may suck but that thing has not done me wrong once yet and i have used it about 8 to 10 times...especially if you accidently unplug or forget to replug something and it will tell you what is not working and then you notice from what it told me that i accidently unplugged or forgot to replug something....such as my map sensor connector......good luck man.....
ballistic_331LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 01:10 AM   #4
7SecYaRight
Registered Member

Thanks for all of your advice.
I just had the fule system redone about two months ago so im pretty sure that isnt the culpret. I also tried the fule injector cleaner and T/B cleaner and it is still doing it.

I might have been a little unclear on the original msg...It seems to idle high but only wants to stall when i try to give it gas or i let it rev high for about a min or so.

Im going to buy one of those code readers tomorrow.

Again...thanks alot for the help
Old 06-10-2002, 01:31 AM   #5
ballistic_331LX
Registered Member

Default mmmmm.....

your check engine light? does it stay off while the engine is running........make sure your tps is not way outta spec and proper voltage to the mass air meter and that idle control circuit (not sure what its reallt called) that sits right in fron of the throttle body at an angle...other than that man.....good luck and i feel for ya
ballistic_331LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 09:29 AM   #6
LX5liter
dude5l

It sounds like your Idle Air Control valve may be sticking. Try removing your IAC and cleaning it out. ( you can take them apart ). use carb cleaner or something similar to remove the buildup of gunk. Also check the voltage to it like ballistic_331LX suggested.

Brad R.
1992 L.X. 5.0 coupe
MODS: A few little bolt ons
New Best time ...11.60 @ 128 mph @ 2000+ ft altitude.

Rice Haters Club member #39

Users rides #2542
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 03:31 PM   #7
7SecYaRight
Registered Member

Thanks for all your Help.