MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-27-2006, 05:21 PM   #1
347strokerstang
Registered Member

Cool What the hell is the BLUE BOX in the dash???

anyone know what the blue box is in a 92 mustang 5.0 LX thats pretty much right behind the A/c controls? I think it is the airbag controller is this right? and im trying to get rid of everything i dont need, so can i just unplug it and remove it?...what else can i remove? already dumpend Cruise control, stock amp and relay, hell a whole buncha shit clutterin my space. any help is appreciated thanks, Tony
347strokerstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:51 PM   #2
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Default Re: What the hell is the BLUE BOX in the dash???

i believe it's for the airbags, get rid of it!
Old 12-27-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
347strokerstang
Registered Member

Question Re: What the hell is the BLUE BOX in the dash???

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohpatrol
i believe it's for the airbags, get rid of it!
haha yea, i believe so, and if so then, yeah its gone...i guess Ill have to dig in and see what all its connected to. and remove the 3 crash sensors in the front....any one else ever removed the Air bag module or Cruise control module, and if so...any problems?? thanks, Tony
Old 12-27-2006, 06:07 PM   #4
347strokerstang
Registered Member

almost forgot...the main point in this is because I only want things on the car, that i auctually use, so signals, lights,gauges, and anything necessary to make the engine run related to the ECM. Tony
Old 12-28-2006, 11:09 PM   #5
Coupe50h
Registered Member

I've heard horror stories about airbags, read some old post, mainly people probaly trying to remove the steering wheel, that bag can break your face....be careful.
X-Texas highway patrol ssp 1990 coupe - exploder Gt-40 iron heads, Explorer intake, 19 lber's. E-cam. crane 1.7 rollers. 190fp. 75mm maf. 65mm tb, tubular subframe connectors, mac cai, Asp crank pulley, T-5, king cobra clutch, flowtech 1-5/8 unequals, mac X-pipe Frpp driveshaft, lakewood Lca's.
race weight 3,160

12.69 @ 107.35, 1.71 60' 26x8.5 drag's 3.90 gear

13.20 @ 106.91 - 235/60/15 firestones 2.3 60' 3.27 gear
Coupe50h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:37 AM   #6
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Yes, the blue box IS the air bag control module. And yes, be VERY careful when removing the air bags.

Disconnect BOTH battery terminals for 15 minutes. Touch the TERMINALS together, not the battery. The terminals from the car!!!! This discharges the air bag capacitors. Then use caution and remove air bags, module, and crash sensors. Anytime you see a wire wrapped the entire length in yellow "heat shrink", it's for the air bags.

F.Y.I.-> I went to a 16 hour "air bag safety" class at the fire academy. LOL

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:24 AM   #7
347strokerstang
Registered Member

Cool Re: What the hell is the BLUE BOX in the dash???

lol, no problem with the backup power for the Airbag, the batterys been unhooked for going on a month now while i been messing with the wiring, engine, rear end, all kinds of stuff, i already had the dash out cause Im re wiring it all, the guy i bought it from had choped it up somewhat, and I got a new harness off ebay. Split it open, mapped out all the wires where they needed to go, what they do, and how long they needed to be, ive got the efi harness finished, hell it didnt take long, but Im hiding what I can, and taking out all that I dont need, and wont effect the ECM as far as putting me in limp mode. SO....I got the air bag system out in about 10min, now, i do just mean the system, I dont feel like messing up my nice factory steering wheel just yet...ive heard the non tilt colums, you cant go with an after market wheel, is this true? if not then, ill prob. be getting one soon, dump that o ill say 5-8lb air bag, and the huge not very comfortable wheel that has useless (to me) controls for Cruise...i never did use it, so, i just to it off. so, if anyone need the cruise control unit, or the blue box and crash sensors, let me know. hell I got all kinds of stuff laying around I could sell lol. But I just wanted to say thanks for all yalls help. happy new year, Tony
manual VB,Street fighter 3000stall w/SFI bell,MAC X pipe w/Flowmaster 40s,ported stock heads upper and lower intake.FRPP roller lifters,pushrods. Pete Jackson gear drive. KB forged FTs.Custom interior.B&M console shifter.tucked engine compartment wires
Old 12-30-2006, 09:46 AM   #8
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

No probs with the aftermarket wheel at all. Heck Autozone around here sell's Grants, with the installation kit. Should be a 1 handed layup shot for ya.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote