MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-28-2001, 01:29 PM   #1
avbcon12
Registered Member

Post what oil and plugs?

i just bought a 90' 5.0 5-speed with 79,000 miles. i need to do an oil change and was wondering what the best oil is for these mustangs? as well as one with 79,000 miles. im not sure if i should go with synthetic or not? i also need help picking out plugs. i want performance as well as reliability because this car is a daily driver.
thanks a lot.
avbcon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2001, 01:51 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb

I've used petroleum-based Mobil 10-30 for 111,000 miles in MY '90.0 LX (bought it new).
Never had a problem in 11 years.

Synthetic oil is superior but you pay a high price for it and some Mustangers have had seal leakage problems they never had before when switching to synthetic. Others have no problems at all. Hard to predict.

On your older, 79,000 mile 5.0, I would recommend using 'regular' oil and changing it (with the filter) every 2,000 miles, as I do.

For spark plugs, I use AutoLite #25 copper plugs. Cheap and reliable. Recommended.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2001, 02:07 PM   #3
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I'm one of the guys that switched to synthetics with no problems whatsoever with leakage. I've never seen so much as a drop under my car since the switch, and it had 120,000 miles on it when I switched. Plus, when I pulled my engine apart it was very clean. Mobil 1 tri-synthetic is my favorite. I was really amazed at how good this stuff really is. Along with the synthetic oil I install a K&N oil filter every 3000 miles. I am with Mr 5 0 on the plugs. Autolight #25's are the way to go and they work great. Stay away from the Splitfire's and Bosche +4 plugs.

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2001, 07:21 PM   #4
egiap's 5.0
Registered Member

Synthetics are the way to go. I run Amsoil and go 25,000/12-month drain intervals. They were the first to come out with a 1 year oil change and have been in business for 25 years. It will cost about $60 a year to use Amsoil. And you thought it was exspensive.

------------------
Independent Amsoil dealer. For needs or information about amsoil synthetic products leave a message. Ask about preffered customer program.
egiap's 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2001, 09:59 PM   #5
jimberg
Registered Member

Here, let's start a contraversy.

Synthetics last a lot longer than petroleum based oils. They just don't break down as quickly. The 3000 mile interval recommended by car manufacturers is for heavy stop-and-go driving like what a taxi cab or police car does (or heavy traffic in hot weather). 7500 miles is the interval recommended for regular driving. These intervals are also for petroleum based oils which will break down and can cause varnishing and sludge build up.

The biggest problem that synthetics have is getting dirty. All anybody using a good synthetic really may need to do is change the filter every 3 to 6 months depending on the filter. 3 for basic and 6 for that new Fram filter (They say it's good for 7000 miles). Change oil and filter at 1 year intervals. Let the debate begin, or not.

Autolite copper cored non-platinum 25s are a great, inexpensive plug.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2001, 02:34 AM   #6
91evilstang
Registered Member

I recently got a job at a local parts store we carry the full line of motocraft parts and i made an interesting find, motocraft makes a racing version of the FL1A oil filter (the filters that fit 302s)the part number is FL1A-HP its pretty cool it has a 400 psi burst rating and flows better than a standard FL1A. This might be old news to some but i had never heard of such a thing.

------------------
91GT Flowmaster 2 chambers,off road H pipe,mac equalength headers,F303 cam,high lift valve springs ,svo 1.6 roller rockers,19*timing,410's,BBK cold air kit,hurst shifter, Pullys,World class T5 MSD 6al box. Ran 13.5@101 with stock headers and air box.
91evilstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2001, 06:56 AM   #7
egiap's 5.0
Registered Member

For the $60.00 towards Amsoil you get one can of engine flush to prep motor. Two Amsoil super duty filters and six quarts of Amsoil. To use the engine flush you leave old oil in pan. Take off old filter and replace it with a fram or napa filter. Put can of engine flush in motor let car idle for half an hour. Drain old oil, remove filter, put on new Amsoil filter and add five quarts of Amsoil. At six months or 12,500 miles you take second Amsoil filter to replace used one put it on and take sixth quart of oil to top off motor. Amsoil was the first oil company to offer extended drain intervals. If it didn't work they probable wouldn't have been in business for 25 years. Have changed cars and trucks over to Amsoil with 100,000 miles with out a hitch. Give it a try.

------------------
Independent Amsoil dealer. For needs or information about amsoil synthetic products leave a message. Ask about preffered customer program.
egiap's 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote