MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What power gains can I expect if I go w/Longtubes? (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=37060)

Stang_ROTY 06-09-2003 12:13 PM

What power gains can I expect if I go w/Longtubes?

I'm looking at getting more power and ET out of my combo and this might be a good time to go with longtube headers since I have to pullthe engine out for a oil pan leak. What type of performance inprovement can I expect and are they worth forking over 5-600.00 for a set? It looks like my options are between the Hooker headers and a set from Kooks (which are a lot more $$).

Dark_5.0 06-09-2003 12:21 PM

Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With your combo Long tubes are the only way to go.

Stang_ROTY 06-09-2003 01:01 PM

I was thinking that I might as well do it while the engine is out. If I can gain HP and ET than it'll be worth it. Plus, I'm sure she'll sound better too :-)

Dark_5.0 06-09-2003 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Stang_ROTY
I was thinking that I might as well do it while the engine is out. If I can gain HP and ET than it'll be worth it. Plus, I'm sure she'll sound better too :-)
No doubt, Long tubes usually make more power through out your powerband.

Your neighbors will love you:D

Stang_ROTY 06-10-2003 07:16 AM

I guess the only issue I have left is the price. I don't know if I can justify spending 700.00+ for a set of headers. Will they do THAT much for my performance?

Dark_5.0 06-10-2003 02:03 PM

If you already have headers on your car, I am sure you do. They wont help 700 dollars worth.

Thats why I went with 1 5/8 equal length headers. They almost perform a s well as Long tube headers for a fraction of the price.

Stang_ROTY 06-10-2003 02:09 PM

Yeah - I'd be really po'd if when I got my timeslip I was still running high 12's. I think that a chip and some tuning would benefit me more than headers at this time. The prices for the Kooks headers are ridiculous. I could see if I had straight racing heads and a high revving combo

jimberg 06-10-2003 07:02 PM

Quote:

Thats why I went with 1 5/8 equal length headers. They almost perform a s well as Long tube headers for a fraction of the price.
I don't believe they have equal length shorties for 351W swaps. If you know of any, I'd love to upgrade.

I'm kind of at the same place that Stang_ROTY is. I've got about 345 rwhp/375ft-lbs of torque and am trying to figure out how to bump it up some. I currently have a 70mm TB and am thinking of getting a 75mm. Long tubes would be nice, but probably too loud for everyday use and PKRWUD tells me that speed bumps are a pain. My car is lowered, too, so I can only imagine how bad it would get.

If you're pulling the engine, you may be better off getting your intake and heads extrude honed.

Coupe50h 06-10-2003 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jimberg
I don't believe they have equal length shorties for 351W swaps. If you know of any, I'd love to upgrade.

I'm kind of at the same place that Stang_ROTY is. I've got about 345 rwhp/375ft-lbs of torque and am trying to figure out how to bump it up some. I currently have a 70mm TB and am thinking of getting a 75mm. Long tubes would be nice, but probably too loud for everyday use and PKRWUD tells me that speed bumps are a pain. My car is lowered, too, so I can only imagine how bad it would get.

If you're pulling the engine, you may be better off getting your intake and heads extrude honed.

Yep, my car is NOT lowered, and clearence would still be an issue, my friend throws sparks all the time with his, then again we live around some bumpy roads.

bigred90gt 06-10-2003 11:23 PM

I'd say, given your combo, you could definately benifit from a good set of longtubes. Hooker makes pretty good headers, as well as Bassani. The Bassani's can get pricey too though. Here's a link to Hooker Mustang headers. The only problem with Hooker is you cant order direct from them.

Stang_ROTY 06-11-2003 06:55 AM

Jimberg!

Nice to hear from ya!

Guys - Anyone have any comments on the BBK longtubes??

Our roads here are terrible but luckily my stang sits high in the front from the drag suspension. Also helps with the wheelie's :-)

I need to make a decision soon. Anyone have any dyno results from these header swaps?

87BOSS351C 06-11-2003 08:15 AM

I've got Hedman Husslers on the Cleveland in the '87. They fit great and they are 1 7/8". Only thing is, even with a flat collector (0000 instead of 88) I only have about 3" max of ground clearence and that is right behind the front tires (I have FMS C springs, 7/8" drop my *****). Anyway, you may want to price the Hedman's. The Husslers are their race series headers so they have nice thick flanges and pipes. Just my $0.02.

87BOSS351C 06-11-2003 08:19 AM

BTW, the 351C swap headers were only $430 from summit. I would think 351W headers would be higher volume sellers and thus cheaper.

Stang_ROTY 06-11-2003 04:02 PM

I found a guy that's selling a set of Hooker's for under 300.00. THe problem is they are chrome, but if they will work maybe I shold get them...

jimberg 06-11-2003 05:19 PM

Do those headers include the short h-pipe or x-pipe?

If I would get the long tubes, I would go with the BBK and get the X-pipe.

Stang_ROTY 06-12-2003 11:16 AM

No they don't. To confirm, they are the Hookers and are 600.00 new in chrome. The BBK's say in Summit & JEgs that they don't fit automatics so I really think I'd be wasting time with them

Quote:

Originally posted by jimberg
Do those headers include the short h-pipe or x-pipe?

If I would get the long tubes, I would go with the BBK and get the X-pipe.

jimberg 06-12-2003 04:59 PM

Is it the BBK headers that don't work with auto tranny or is it the x/h-pipe? Do you know you don't have the same problem with the Hooker headers?

Stang_ROTY 06-12-2003 10:17 PM

From what I'm told it's the collectors that won't actually fit around the big SFI bellhousing. There isn't much room there. I have more confidence in the Hooker's b/c I spoke to their tech people wand explained what I have. THey then told me what I needed, and asured that it'd fit. But I guess that the best fitting headers are from Kooks....but man, there're too expensive at 600.00 a pop w/out coating. That's too much for me. Plus, this guy that wants to sell them had it on a 351 w/C4 combo, big bell. So it makes me fell better. Here's the online auction link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ory=33631&rd=1

Tell me what you think!