MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-23-2001, 11:33 AM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Post What is the proper way to empty the gas tank and check a external fuel pump?

I really need to fiugre out if my fuel pump is pushing fuel correctly. Should I completely empty my fuel tank, check for pickup tube clogging, and replace the pickup screen. Can I take the Inlet fuel line (from the pickup)and stick it into a bucket with some fuel in it to check for the sucking of fuel, and run the line out of the filter (that goes to the rails) in a bucket. Is that a good idea?? At the same time while the tank is out should I empty the tank since the car was sitting for such a long time?? Thanks
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 12:10 PM   #2
1989_351W
Registered Member

Lightbulb

First make sure your pump is turning and has power. What I have done in the past to check to see if fuel is being pushed is to run a line from the pump into a gas can. When you turn on the ignition/fuel pump keep it on for a few seconds and then check to see if the gas can has fuel, if it doesn't the line might be clogged replace the filter. If it doesn't have fuel, put the line from the pump into the gas can, filled about half way and make sure the line from the pump is submerged in the fuel. Turn the pump on and wait a couple of seconds and check to see if it sucked any of the fuel out. If it did it's your wiring for the pump.
I hope you figure it out!

------------------
Michael Wigton
1989 351 Windsor
1964 1/2 Convertible
1989_351W is offline   Reply With Quote