MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-14-2002, 10:42 PM   #1
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

Default Fuel pump install.

Im going to be putting in a new fuel pump as soon as its delivered. My question is is there anything i should look for or do while the tank is down and the pump is out? The current pump changes noise when the lights are on or the brake is pushed so should i check the power to the pump? or is that just another sign the pump is bad. The replacement is a Walbro 110lph, anything i should know about these pumps?
'95 GT convert. K&N, C&L mass air meter, Performance distributors sreamin demon coil, dyna mod, live wires, king cobra clutch, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, UPR billet adjustable shift handle, Crane Cams Fireball HI-6 box,underdrive pullies, 255lph fuel pump, UPr short throw shifter, caster camber plates, 03 cobra lower A arms, bullit suspension, cobra front brakes

Last edited by Lethal5Oh; 07-14-2002 at 10:48 PM..
Lethal5Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 09:28 AM   #2
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

It wouldnt hurt to try to keep less than 1/4 of a tank so when you drop it, it wont be so heavy. You might as well change the fuel filter too.

1995 Chevy S-10
406 SBC, Dual tunnel ram, Dart heads, Nitrous, full tub, 4-link, adjustable drag shocks, coil-overs, 9in rearend, 4.56 gears...etc
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 11:10 AM   #3
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

Ya i know it would be nice to only have a 1/4 tank but i have about 3/4. I thought i was going to be making a long drive so i filled up 4 day ago. I have a transmission jack that im going to use to drop the tank with. The fuel filter is only a month old. Thanks
'95 GT convert. K&N, C&L mass air meter, Performance distributors sreamin demon coil, dyna mod, live wires, king cobra clutch, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, UPR billet adjustable shift handle, Crane Cams Fireball HI-6 box,underdrive pullies, 255lph fuel pump, UPr short throw shifter, caster camber plates, 03 cobra lower A arms, bullit suspension, cobra front brakes
Old 07-15-2002, 04:20 PM   #4
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Of course you could siphon the gas out before you drop it. Just have a few 5 gallon cans sitting there handy. One thing that I suggest to watch is those d*mn plastic clips on the end of the fuel lines. Your new pump should come with some new ones, but if it doesn't I would have about three extra ones handy. They break easily. I would also get the strainer (sock) that fits on the bottom of the pump, if you don't get one with your new one. I am not familiar with the brand of pump you have purchased, so I don't know what you will be getting with it.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:32 AM   #5
7-UP BILL
Registered Member

I would change the gasket where the tank and pump assembly meet. Ford part. Also BEFORE you remove the pump assembly from tank, clean the area around it. All that crap will go in the tank if you don't. Try to siphon all that gas out. 3/4 tank is heavy and the tank configuration doesn't bode well with jacks.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:21 PM   #6
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

its down to 1/2 now. Ive got the tank mostly down, just the return line is keeping me from fully removing it. I bought the special tool to remove these duckbill lines. The supply line came off somewhat easy but the return is a major pain in the *****. cant get the tool in to release the clips.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:35 PM   #7
Scrapla
Registered Member

I just replaced my fuel pump not to long ago and if your gonna do it with that much gas in it make sure you have 3 people the weakest person on the jack and the two strongest holding each side of the dank as you remove and lower it, also comes in handy when putting the tank back, just my 2 cents.
Scrapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 04:02 PM   #8
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

I got it down bymyself (spilled atleast a gallon on the floor) But i got my brother to help get it back up. Its all done now. Thanks for all the replys.